Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-21-2003, 05:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

deformed danios

I have two separate tanks with zebra danios (one of many breeds) and a couple in both tanks are a little deformed looking. It seems to come and go and they don't seem to be affected by it. The head looks normal and then their middle region dips way down and then the tail is in the normal position. It almost seems to be some digestive thing or something to do with constipation but the books don't mention anything like it. Some of them will rest on the bottom of the tank to the point that you think they're dying but they never do. Has anyone else had this problem and can anyone tell me what it is? I have had such a problem with this batch of eight that I got a few months ago. Half the time they all look like they have severe dropsy but nothing ever comes of it. I'm stumped...

Old 01-21-2003, 05:41 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to targaboy78
Hi swmmnglessons,

I am constantly reading articles and books, then regurgitating the parts that seem applicable. So before you jump to any conclusions... I am NOT diagnosing your Zebra Danios... Just bringing your attention to this information.

I did a search on GOOGLE for "fish tuberculosis" and found tons of information, however the following 2 seemed helpful.

http://www.pvas.com/articles/keefer-tuberculosis.htm

http://aquaria.port5.com/diseases.htm

This quote is from the second link...
Quote:
Fish Tuberculosis causes a fish to become bloated. Unlike Ascites which also causes bloating, this disease deforms the spine. Warning! Is known to infect humans through contact with infected fish.
I hope this helps.

Old 01-21-2003, 11:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Read the links you provided but still not sure what I have here. These danios are so crazy! One day they look so strange, either bloated or all bent up and the next day they're perfectly normal..
Old 01-22-2003, 04:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to Thaiboxer
I think they're playing sick in the hope that you'll let them go!!!
Old 01-22-2003, 05:25 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to targaboy78
Hi swmmnglessons,

You wrote:
Quote:
These danios are so crazy! One day they look so strange, either bloated or all bent up and the next day they're perfectly normal..
I have no idea. Maybe they are "showing off" to each other. You know, crazy fish impersonations, "Hey, look at me... I'm an old swayback mule"... Elephant Man: "I am not an animal".... stuff like that.

But for future reference, Fishfarmacy has a easy to use fish disease diagnostic flowchart.
http://www.fishyfarmacy.com/symptoms.html
Old 01-23-2003, 08:00 AM   #6

Quote:
One day they look so strange, either bloated or all bent up and the next day they're perfectly normal..
Mine never look too skinny or bent, but the do get really fat in the evening, and look much skinnier in the morning. I havent figured it out either, but mine seem happy, havent lost any since cycling 3 months ago (even then only 1).

I know this prolly doesnt help, but at least you know other people have funky danios too.

Tags
danio, danios

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com