Deformities on Serpae Tetras...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Update:
Tank Flush #1 complete. Did a 75+% PWC tonight, and added carbon to my filter. This was strange, I lost some carbon down the drain, lol. It said to rinse it, and when I did, it floated and hissed loud, lol. So I placed the carbon between 2 microfilter pads. Will change it out tomorrow night and let it run a couple days. The carbon I'm using is called Pro Carb. Must be good stuff to hiss so loud you can hear it several feet away, lol. I also ran my diatom filter a couple hours as well. Will do it again tomorrow.

As for the serpae's, still looking bad. And I still have the one with the deformity. It's now wide open too, like his jaw is locked wide open. But it doesn't look swelled, or bleeding or anything. Doesn't look infected either. Wondering if I should put it down or see how long he lasts. Seems to eat, but has a tough time of it.

I also have a female GBR surfacing alot, and looks swelled up some. Thinking of feeding peas and see if it's constipation. And the male with the huge eye, it's still huge and look like the skin on the eyeball is peeling away. I hope things get better for him.

As for the rest of the fish, I think they are all thanking me for clearing up their water, lol. All's happy and swimming around. :)

Well, lost a female GBR. She was one that was surfacing alot lately and was swelling some. Even with feeding peas, nothing seemed to work. The pleco was trying to eat her, but I removed her immediatelyto keep anything she might have had from spreading. The male GBR's eye has popped as well, and doesn't look all that great. But if I keep pristine water conditions, I think all will go good for him. He's eating normally again, and seems to have some energy. But we'll see for sure as it heals over.

The serpae's are still looking not so hot. Some white blotches still on them, and eyes puffed out a little. But nothing like popeye. Just a little puffed, and you can see the red blood vessels in the eyes like when you are very sleepy.

Didn't get to do the 2nd flush last night, a friend came over to watch WWE, so I'm doing it tonight. Also replacing the carbon and run new carbon in for 2 more days, then will remove the carbon. The tank also needs new landscaping real bad, lol. This look is just getting too old, lol, and the swords are just getting too huge, lol. I don't think I have enough ferts in the tank to keep them healthy, they are starting to look ratty. Maybe I should double-up the root tabs, lol.

Update....

Lost another serpae tetra. When I was doing my cleaning today, it floated to the surface. So I removed him. There were no chunks taken out of him, so at least the other fish hadn't started eating off him, which is good.

I did a 60% PWC today, and removed the old carbon from the other day and replaced with new. I put in even more this time. Will leave this in for 2-3 days and then will remove and replace with my floss, which is what I normally use. Tank is looking pretty good, and the serpae's are starting to look a little better.

As for the GBR with popeye, it popped, lol. Looks pretty nasty, but he's very active now, and eats alot. And of course I fed one of the foods that the GBR's never turn down, lol. Peas. Any time I put peas in the tank, they go bonkers. They just love it, lol. I fed cichlid flake food earlier, so they are well fed today.

LWB ihate to hear about all thishappening to your tank, but thank you so mch for the treatment details. It really helps a lot for people like me to better understand mystery diseases and treating them

Not a problem. I enjoy posting for others so they get a better understanding. But for me on this one, I'm still not exactly sure what it is, but I think after the medicating and 2 75% tank flushes, as well as running my diatom filter every other day for a few hours, things are clearing up. And now with a ton of carbon in the filter to complete the removal of the meds, the water is crystal clear. Will leave this batch of carbon in 2-3 days and then remove it all together and replace with floss once again.

Well, a couple more setpae's died. So I'm down to just a couple left. None of the other fish seem to be affected, and I think the popeye on the GBR is just something completely different. His eye is still looking ugly, but getting better...

Well, the algae is starting. Probably due to the amount of carbon in the system. Will be removing the carbon tonight after work, and do another filter maintenance.

Back
Top Bottom