Desperate need of help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks! So, exactly what meds are in the water right now? My suggestion is no more water additives/meds other than a good water conditioner. I think what you are seeing is the result of med overkill here and he is experiencing a bit of a burn to his slimecoat (white appearance). Its something you more typically see with high toxin levels or acidic water which is why I asked specifically about your ph. How is he doing today?

The only meds I've been giving him are the antifungal and the medigold. He's been very lethargic. I'm a bit concerned because usually when I tap on this tank he perks up and seems excited to see me but when I got home from work today he barely moved. I was thinking only giving him the medigold along with regular water changes and hopefully he'll perk up again. His back however looks great! If you have any suggestions I'm open to them!

I didn't know you still had meds in the tank when you started the MG. You need to treat with either one or the other, not both as they are having an interaction and he is feeling the effects.

Oh goodness! I had no idea! Luckily I haven't given him the medigold in a couple days! I was trying to see if it was the medigold making him act so lethargic. I feel pretty stupid right now! Geeze! Well I'm going to change his water again tonight and just give him the medigold now. Hopefully that was all it was and he'll get better again!

I would change his water, run some new carbon in the filter for a few hours (then stick your old media back in and toss the carbon) and give him a break for a bit. See how he is feeling in the morning and if he seems back to his more normal self, you can feed the MG. If he isn't, do another water change and give him some veggies to munch on for the day and a tiny bit of MG food. He is bit overtaxed right now. I am keeping my fingers crossed for Batman!!

Ok, water changed, new carbon and filter cartridge in. I know the algae wafers aren't nutritionally the best but he loves them so I gave him some and he seems to have really perked up! The second the wafer bits hit the water he swam right out of the corner! I checked up on him a little bit ago and hes still moving around so fingers crossed this does the trick!

Ok, water changed, new carbon and filter cartridge in. I know the algae wafers aren't nutritionally the best but he loves them so I gave him some and he seems to have really perked up! The second the wafer bits hit the water he swam right out of the corner! I checked up on him a little bit ago and hes still moving around so fingers crossed this does the trick!

Good news! :dance:
My comet used to love the nls algae wafers. I had to break some up for him in the end because he kept trying to eat the plecos wafers whole. Lol.
If they are a good brand, they are very nutritious. Goldfish diets are supposed to be mainly vege based anyway, I believe.

Unfortunately things are not looking so great this morning. Batman is swimming around but it is aimlessly and more like incoherent floating. I'm afraid we may be losing this fight. He has turned into a brownish red color near his gills and his fins and tail are very frayed. I think I'll see how he does the rest of the day and decide my course of action based on that.

I am feeling very torn. Batman's condition is breaking my heart. He is thin, copper colored and seems to be having very labored breathing. I tried talking to my husband to make a judgment call but it feels like we are looking at two completely different fish! He says he looks alright to him but I'm just not sure. His wound looks like it is healing great but the rest of his body just looks horrible. I'm not sure if I am just too emotionally invested and over reacting or if my total investment in his health is why I see a fish in terrible condition where my husband sees a fish that is "okay". I took a video, its not the best lighting or quality buy maybe you guys can tell me if you can see what seems so obvious to me. Looking forward to your input.

RIP Batman

Unfortunately this morning when I checked on Batman he was no longer alive. I'm grateful he went on his own and feel a sense of relief. He was suffering, I know people insist that fish dont feel pain like we do but I dont believe that. First off, have they ever felt what a fish feels? Pretty sure they haven't. Anyways, I know this is a bit morbid but I took a picture of Batman before I flushed him hoping that maybe someone could explain what happened here. If I didnt know that it was him I'd have thought it was a whole different fish. He's gold/copper colored! Please somebody, enlighten me. The picture dont do it much justice but his color is WAY different than when he was healthy!

Attachments

• 20131007_095232.jpg
    20131007_095232.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 20131007_095248.jpg
    20131007_095248.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 61
I am so sorry. :( Rest in peace, Batman.

In respect to the odd color he turned, I can only venture guesses. It may have been a reaction to the meds or he may have had something much more serious than we realized. More typically you may see an increase in melanin (black pigment) in goldfish exposed to toxins (ie, ammonia burn) but a complete loss of melanin pigment very rapidly appears possibly as an internal issue. Lymphocytic growths can occur internally. I am going to ask to see if I can get you a more definitive answer and will let you know if I find anything out.

I was following Batman from the sidelines, really hoping he would be ok. Am very sorry that you have lost your pal.
Roz

Thank you everyone. Jlk I look forward to seeing what answers you get. I thought it was really odd. I'd hear of them getting black spots, never losing all their black though!

Unfortunately this morning when I checked on Batman he was no longer alive. I'm grateful he went on his own and feel a sense of relief. He was suffering, I know people insist that fish dont feel pain like we do but I dont believe that. First off, have they ever felt what a fish feels? Pretty sure they haven't. Anyways, I know this is a bit morbid but I took a picture of Batman before I flushed him hoping that maybe someone could explain what happened here. If I didnt know that it was him I'd have thought it was a whole different fish. He's gold/copper colored! Please somebody, enlighten me. The picture dont do it much justice but his color is WAY different than when he was healthy!

Sorry to hear about losing Batman. :( The little guy tried his best to get better and you did all you do - and then some.

Loosing his color was strange, it happened so fast. Maybe he wasn't getting enough oxygen due to his illness? That's the only reason I can think of why his color change would happened so quickly.

Back
Top Bottom