Detritus worms / nematode

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bkiggy

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I've been trying to get rid of the clear/pinkish worms in my gravel for over 7 months. I obsessively glean the gravel and always get them out just do have more a couple days later. The fish eat them when they float around from WC . Is it a vicious cycle? 1) are they parasitic ? 2) will it hurt the fish--do the fish have worms?
3). Is it actually hurting the tank or should I just not worry about it

If you have had them for 7mths already and your fish seem fine and healthy, I would not be too concerned. It sounds like they are enjoying snacking on them! They are most likely some type of detritus worm as you are only aware of them when cleaning. Right now, they are part of the balance in your tank as they living off of the organic debris in your gravel. If you want to limit them or try to get rid of them, step up the wcs/gravel cleanings to daily for a week (or so) or remove the gravel altogether. There are chemical options but I would opt to save these as a last resort if you absolutely want them gone or they become out of control. I honestly would just stay on top of cleaning and limit feeding and not worry too much! :)

Thank You Thank You ..... I only see them when cleaning. Just making sure they are not harmfull

Back
Top Bottom