Devastation and rebuilding tank population

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skiweeangel

Aquarium Advice Addict
After new inhabitants all died, taking along some of the old inhabitants on my tank I am not sure what I should do. I am not sure what they died of. 6 tiger barbs suddenly developed popeye and died within a matter of 24 hours. The water parameters were all fine. I dosed the tank with melafix and they all died anyway. A few of my danios died as well, only without the popeye. Other than their eyes there were no other signs of disease.

How long should I wait until I add a few more danios, and is there anything I need to do to "clean" the tank other than PWC and gravel cleaning?

skiweeangel said:
After new inhabitants all died, taking along some of the old inhabitants on my tank I am not sure what I should do. I am not sure what they died of. 6 tiger barbs suddenly developed popeye and died within a matter of 24 hours. The water parameters were all fine. I dosed the tank with melafix and they all died anyway. A few of my danios died as well, only without the popeye. Other than their eyes there were no other signs of disease.

How long should I wait until I add a few more danios, and is there anything I need to do to "clean" the tank other than PWC and gravel cleaning?

For something that bad you might wanr to consider a total teardown and restart.

What should I do with the remaining danios? I have one well established 10g, but that is no enough room for the remaining 4 IMO. Also I'm not sure that my second 55 g could handle the three very heavy bio load ADF I have in there. I just added 6 tigers to the second 55g a few weeks ago and I'm not sure the BB are caught up yet. I really don't want to put the 4 remaining danios in the second 55g because I'm worried about contaminating that tank.

What would you do in my situation?

skiweeangel said:
What should I do with the remaining danios? I have one well established 10g, but that is no enough room for the remaining 4 IMO. Also I'm not sure that my second 55 g could handle the three very heavy bio load ADF I have in there. I just added 6 tigers to the second 55g a few weeks ago and I'm not sure the BB are caught up yet. I really don't want to put the 4 remaining danios in the second 55g because I'm worried about contaminating that tank.

What would you do in my situation?

If there isn't anything on the 10g I'd move them there until they are recovered

I'd put them in a QT, or just keep running them in the tank for a while and see how they do. The only time I do a total teardown is if the tank is already empty of stock, or if it's an incurable disease or something I couldn't pinpoint.

I can't pinpoint this one. The fish looked normal except for the popeye. Nothing wrong win water levels.

Back
Top Bottom