Diamond Tetra Jumped Out of Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sms1852

Aquarium Advice Regular
Today my 6yr old came to get me because one of our Diamond Tetras jumped out of the water from the feeding hole in my tank. I quickly put it back in the water. It started swimming spirally at first. Now it is hanging out upside down on the filter sponge. It's not moving much but its gills are moving. IMG_2323.jpgI do have a regular filter but have a sponge on the intake tube. What are the chances my Diamond Tetra will make it?

29 Gallon
1 Angelfish
6 Diamond Tetras
5 Corys
Cycled Tank

just checked my water & my nitrates are very high. Ammonia & Nitrite are fine. Fish is swimming again but in a spiral.IMG_2324.JPG

I would advise a very large water change ASAP. No promises for your problem tetra's survival, but best for the health and safety of your other fish.

I just did a 34% water change. How long should I wait before doing another one? Nitrates are still sky high.

I just did a 34% water change. How long should I wait before doing another one? Nitrates are still sky high.

I would do another one immediately. 50% at least. Keep testing and get it down to a manageable level of nitrates, 10-20 ppm.

Sadly my Tetra didn't make it. I did another 50% wc & nitrates levels are better.

Attachments

• IMG_2328.jpg
    IMG_2328.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 82
Good.
Your nitrates were deadly high. Water changes are the best way to get it down.
Do you have a good biological growth in your tank?

Update: My diamond Tetra did not make it. I'm still having a Nitrate problem in my tank, Currently it's stabilized because of two 50% wc. Thinking of doing small daily water changes to see if that helps. All other levels are good.

Today two of my Corys died & another one doesn't look so good. He's a full grown albino & seems to to be missing parts of his fins. The other albino that died was also missing part of his fins. Could one of my fish be bullying the others? I have 5 Diamond Tetras, 2 small bronze Corys, 1 large albino ( who's not doing well) & 1 quarter sized angelfish.

I've had my angelfish for 4 months & it doesn't look like he's grown much. He's very passive & seems a little afraid of the Tetras.

My filter is an AC90 with purigen instead of the carbon filter.

Maybe consider to lighten up on the quantity of food especially due to the losses you will not need as much food. What kind(s) of food are you feeding right now?

Maybe time for a rinse of the filter media in pwc water and/ or treated water.

How about the gravel, do you get to do any gravel vacuuming?

Yes, I'm going to feed them less as well. My 10yr old has been feeding them. I'm going to take over. I feed them tropical flakes by everything Aquatic. I already rinsed the media in a pwc water. I did do have a gravel vacuum I use although I have sand (Tahitian Moon). Thanks.

I've been feeding them twice a day should I cut it down to once a day?

The daily pill boxes are a great way to manage the feeding of the fish. Some are really cheap to buy like the dollar store, or others which have removable boxes with AM / PM and if you have a bottom feeder you can feed them at night lets say (PM).

Then let your some still be in charge of the feeding. It is nice to know when you look at it if there was a missed feeding or if they were already fed today. Then he can still be doing his responsible job, but better!

I would be sure to feed twice per day IF they are very young fish or if they were "babies". Some times it is just a lot of fun to feed them and watch them eat, and you can divide the portion in two parts AM /PM. I like to watch the fish eat :).

Back
Top Bottom