Dicus rubbing on decoration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melissa1977

Aquarium Advice Activist
Could there be any other reason beside ick that a discus would rub on decoration (in this case, my anubias leaves) ?

Could he be doing so to mark his new territory ?

What's the temperature of the tank? :wink: Try raising it gradually to 86 or 87F for a week and see if that helps.

UPDATE....

40 gallon tank.
4 panda cories
3 sterba cories
1 bulldog pleco
6 white cloud
2 bolivian rams

no ammonia/no nitrate/ no nitrite
Ph appx 7
Temp appx 27 celsius

Got the discus 2 days ago.

When I came back from work today the guy was lying in the bottom of the tank. His slime coat seems like it's pealing off. One of is side fin was sticking to his body. He finally managed to swim but that was with a unusual shivering once in a while. He seems darker than normal.

He does not want to eat. He eat on little flake of shrimp and that's it.

I added to the tank the recommended dosage of melafix and so aquari-sol. I felt so bad seeing him like this. I wanted to help.... I think he has some parasite infection... I am now increasing the temp progressively.

Did I do the right thing ?

How old is your tank? You should have some measurable nitrates in an established tank.
How old is your test kit? Discus require excellent water.

Could be lots of problems but the first is the temperature. That's much too cool for any discus. It should be 30 to 31 C. Cooler temps can put a discus into shock after a while. Start raising it immediately.

He is about 3" diameter. I do water change once a week for about 40 %.

I just got this guy 4 days ago.

He actually seems to be doing better today. He eat a little. And swims more. He got some of his original color back...

But he still rubs against decoration... I am still medication with melafix and aquari-sol.

Back
Top Bottom