dieing fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vamptramp3405

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
alright, I have lost 3 fish in 2 days. I treated them for ich a couple of weeks ago and didnt lose a single one. everyone seems healthy and happy. until about a week ago. I am noticing when im cleaning the tank and doing water changes that the fish are losing their scales??? i find them floating in the tank and on the bottom. some had sores on them, it looked like white cotton or fuzz on their sides and their gills were like puffed out and they were thin and hanging out by the heater. someone said it could be a bacteria so i got Pondcare Melafix-antibacterial remedy for koi and goldfish. says its just tea tree extract (melaleuca). I have a reading of 0 amm 0 nitri and like 10-20 nitrate. I hate losing anymore fish, can someone please help me in figureing out what this is before i lose them all. they look fine and then i find them dead! oh and some have real stringy poop, looks like thin thread coming out of them, whats that??? help please!

Sorry yes the tank has been cycled and the water quality is great. I just tested it again to make sure. And its a 55 gallon with mollies and platties. id say 20 fish at the very MOST! and oh yea theres a sucker fish and a dragon fish

What kind of "sucker fish" do you have in there exactly? And by dragon fish what do you mean? The problem could be that with so much mollies and platies in there it's aggression. Especially if there are more males than females or both mollies and platies, that's definitely going to be a problem.

By sucker fish, I you mean Chinese algae eater.. That's not good! I had one. And I bought it as an adult. I researched and it says that as juveniles they eat algae but as adult they enjoy fish slime. ??

Back
Top Bottom