Difference between injury and parasite?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JumperGirl117

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have separated my betta and pleco due to two pink bumps on the plecos head. I did see the betta around the pleco a couple of days ago and I am sure that I stressed him out to an extreme the first time I changed his water. Actual question: if it is an injury then he shouldn't have anymore bumps by Friday? If its parasite they will spread within the week all over correct? The betta is fine but they were bought at Walmart and a week later all fish died and water was absolutely disgusting.

I know it seems like common sense but I as just incase things like water temp. Or stress may affect how it heals/spreads. I will try to get a good picture but can't make any guarantees

I am still trying to figure out how to post pictures so bear with me. But there are two pictures one enhanced so its easier to see and one normal since the colors will be darker with the enhanced pic. I actually just say the one on his tail I have yet to put fish back in tank after 100% water change and I think the betta is going to have to go in a flower vase (only one tank) due to parasite? Not injury? Common sense right?

Attachments

• image-1636963136.jpg
    image-1636963136.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 67
  • image-2132182331.jpg
    image-2132182331.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 65
Looks like pink cotton candy on him and is all in his gills?

Attachments

• image-990170108.jpg
    image-990170108.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 64
  • image-3211491899.jpg
    image-3211491899.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 63
  • image-369249791.jpg
    image-369249791.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 63
I can't get anyone to respond to my tetra problem either. I'm no expert and I've never seen bumps that are red like that, you try googling it?

Yea it looks like fungus to me but fungus is white. So I don't know. I think he is actually starting to really get sick and I am just waiting for it to develop all the way.

UPDATE: I put my filter on Sunday and am cycling the tank with both of them in there. The LFS told me to take him out but I have no where to put him so he has to stay in there. The only place I can put him is in my tub or one if my sinks and that isn't happening.

Within two days he has darkened in color (which might be due to I changed the rocks from white to black) and has been swimming around the tank not constantly stuck on the wall and the bumps are completely gone. So I am going to assume that the LFS was right about it being oxygen deficiency

And I have decided to buy a bigger tank for him so now I have to figure out how big I want to go and where to buy the tank from.

What size tank is the pleco in? Do you know your water parameters? Kinda looks like ammonia burns.

I don't know my perimeters but I am cycling the tank now and they went away. I have him in a 3 gallon but will be moving him to a bigger tank. So far the only one I can find is a 100 gallon tank and I am not too big on that idea at all lol

I'm pretty darn sure it's ammonia burns. A common pleco in a 3 gallon will build up ammonia super fast. Common pleco's can get about 18 inches long, for a new tank I'd go for at least a 40 gallon but 55 would be better. Extra water changes while he's in the 3 gallon would be good. Prime will help detoxify ammonia, it would be a good investment. Seachem Prime at PETCO

So I tested my water after three days and one water change here are my results. To me it looks like
Nitrate:0-20
Nitrite:0-0.5
Ph:7.0-7.5
Carbonate Hardness: 80-120
General hardness: 180 the max the tests go up to

Now. I know that the test strips aren't that accurate but did it without hubs permission so don't want to buy the thirty dollar master water kit. I do enjoy having a happy relationship. Now from what I have read on here and in general research. My nitrates need to be as close to zero as possible. I have no idea about nitrite. Ph needs to be neutral at 7.0 and I don't know anything about hardness either. I know I have water conditioner not water softener.

Anyone can interpretate (sp?) that for me? And tell me what to do? Especially for the softener.

I do have a picture sorry guys. Totally forgot to put it on my original post.

Attachments

• image-1954836383.jpg
    image-1954836383.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 36
pH really isn't that big of a deal as long as it is stable. Nitrite and Ammonia will both be zero in a cycled tank. For nitrate anything below 40 is fine, preferably below 20.

Hardness not a big deal?

For the fish that you've got, no not really. Using chemicals to adjust pH and hardness causes swings in the levels, which is very hard on fish. Leaving it alone is much gentler. I've got pleco's and bettas in a pH of 8.4 with absolutely no issues. A more important thing to worry about is either getting a tank for that big 'ol pleco or finding him a new home. It's going to be impossible to maintain a proper cycle in a 3 gallon.

Back
Top Bottom