Disaster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattrox

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just got back last night from a week away. There was a heat wave of 44 deg C (over 100 F) that lasted 4 days. When I arrived home the tank water felt luke warm and there were decomposing fish everywhere. The water temperature was around 35 dec C (93 F) and had probably been like that for 2 - 3 days. The only fish that survived were 3 angel fish. I am suprised because the water was foul as well as far too hot.

I initially took out 25% then started adding water at the same time as removing water. I took out all the dead fish I could find and did a gravel vac too. I got the water temp down to 30 deg C last night and now is down to 28.

The angels look ok now, but I must have lost 35 fish.

Ouch...... Sorry to hear.... If there's no AC to keep the temp down, might thing about getting a small chiller to keep it from getting too high.

I am sorry for your loss. Might need to keep the AC on when you are away from home. That really stinks. :(

Mattrox, I just wanted to say that I'm so very sorry to hear about your huge loss! :(

If I was home I would have done very large pwc's each evening and floated ice to keep the temps acceptable. I have done that before and survived heat waves.

I am moving house this week, and it has a/c........... but that doesn't help now.

OMG, Matt! It is the scene we all fear when we return from vacation. What a bummer - best of luck getting things back under control.

I'm so sorry about your losses! At least your angels survived - they must be strong fish and excellent genetic stock.

How do you personally survive 100 degree temps w/out a/c? Thats crazy! I'm really sorry to hear about your fish. Good luck getting everything back in order.

I am so glad to hear you are moving and so sorry the heat wave didn't hold off a week. that just stinks. :(

Andos99 said:
How do you personally survive 100 degree temps w/out a/c? Thats crazy!

I usually go to a shopping mall with A/C or do some water sports. The pub for a cold beer with mates also has been known to occur.

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. As tank girl said it is a big fear we all share. I am glad to hear your'e on the road to re-covery and that your angels survived.

Wow, that's just...sad.

I keep waiting for someone to produce a chiller that costs less than a typical home refridgerator. If they could make decent ones for $100-$150 they'd sell enough to turn a nifty profit.

Yep, that is sad Matt. When I go on vacation I try and have a friend come in and do things like pwcs for me. It stresses me just the same as I know things are out of my control.

I'm very sorry to hear about your tank loss. :( I hope your move goes smoothly, and good luck setting the tank back up! I hope the angels will continue to be ok.

I have found out that I have to wait 3 weeks before moving in. I think I will take the angels to an LFS and just run plants in a tank with lights on a timer in a friends shed.

I might start over. Might do a tank keyholes as the centre piece.... if I can find them.

Back
Top Bottom