Disaster Averted..... almost

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sandyf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 90 gallon community tank. The other day I was putting some squash in for my pleco and noticed the water was really warm. I looked at the heater and it had somehow gotten bumped up and the water was almost 84 degrees. I have no idea how it happened but I think I caught it just in time. All the fish were acting strange but one redline torpedo barb was really in distress. I immediately did a 25% water change bringing the water to 80 degrees and did everything I could to reoxygenate the water. Everyone recovered quickly except for the barb. He struggles to swim horizontally (he's actually vertical most of the time) and he swims with a really jerky motion every couple seconds. I didn't think he'd make it but 48 hours later and he's the same. What can I do for the poor thing? When I fed he appeared to try to eat but I'm afraid he's going to starve to death. Should I euthanize him? I don't want him to suffer but I don't want to put him out of his misery if there's a chance he'll recover. Do fish get brain damage from lack of oxygen? Thanks for feedback!

Around 78. I don't think it was a heat thing as much as it was the fact that warmer water contains less oxygen.

Back
Top Bottom