Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-20-2004, 12:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Disaster Strikes!

So, last night my hubby decided to do a water change. And oh boy, what usually takes 10 minutes took 3 hours.

He forgot to take the stopper out of the sink, with the filter output going he didnt hear anythign till the water had overflowed the sink, ran down the cabinets (inside the silverware drawer -EEEEWWW), soaked through the kitchen floor and dripped to the basement. Fish poopy bacteria water everywhere. Needless to say, the rest of the night was spent disinfecting.

He felt terrible, and although i tried to be uspest, i had to smile when he wasn't looking..... how cute, and quite he became

Just thougth i'd share our lovely evening. Anyone else have this happen, or are we just cursed with disaster??

1 Blue Ram
3 Platies
2 Fancy Guppies
2 Balloon Mollies
2 Clown Loaches
1 L200 Pleco
1 Clown Pleco
Lil'Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 12:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's not funny, Lil'Fishy, but the story was!

Ya I hate it "Fish Poopy" get's on the silverware!

Old 10-20-2004, 01:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes. My husband isn't used to dealing with the tanks, either. He tried to hook an airline up from my tank to his across the room. He ran it under the rug. This seemed okay until I noticed one day that his tank wasn't getting the air, and the floor was slightly soggy... and his tank had been losing almost half it's water everday. I'd been refilling it thinking "Gee, this is an insanely dry summer and that's one hot light he has on the aquarium". When I lifted up the rug it became clear that the line had filled with water, and instead of pumping air it was sucking water from his tank and putting it under our $400 persian rug and wood flooring.

The most lovely surprise.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:06 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Hey Lil'Fishy, speaking from a husbands point of view.....

Next time I'd recommend a smile when he IS looking. Just think of how much better he might've felt. The again, I guess there are benefits to a silent hubby sometimes, huh?

That'll be $2.00 for the family counseling service. Payable to this site to help w/ maintenance.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 01:22 PM   #5

Yeah, you are right! now i feel bad!

Maybe when he reads this he'll feel better to know i wasnt mad, either that or be really mad i didnt tell him i wasnt mad

1 Blue Ram
3 Platies
2 Fancy Guppies
2 Balloon Mollies
2 Clown Loaches
1 L200 Pleco
1 Clown Pleco
Old 10-20-2004, 01:34 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

His favorite dish for dinner tonight????

Good luck.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 04:29 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Sushi please!

I felt terrible, but I don't feel so bad now And it did give me an excuse to get all junk and old boxes out.

waterstopper
eheim 2026 waiting in the wings
joedarat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 04:35 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Noo! Please not sushi! Murder!
Old 10-20-2004, 06:43 PM   #9

Yeay for sushi!

1 Blue Ram
3 Platies
2 Fancy Guppies
2 Balloon Mollies
2 Clown Loaches
1 L200 Pleco
1 Clown Pleco
Old 10-21-2004, 11:08 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to cdawson
Re: Disaster Strikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil'Fishy
So, last night my hubby decided to do a water change. And oh boy, what usually takes 10 minutes took 3 hours.

He forgot to take the stopper out of the sink, with the filter output going he didnt hear anythign till the water had overflowed the sink, ran down the cabinets (inside the silverware drawer -EEEEWWW), soaked through the kitchen floor and dripped to the basement. Fish poopy bacteria water everywhere. Needless to say, the rest of the night was spent disinfecting.

He felt terrible, and although i tried to be uspest, i had to smile when he wasn't looking..... how cute, and quite he became

Just thougth i'd share our lovely evening. Anyone else have this happen, or are we just cursed with disaster??
hahaha I did that a couple weeks ago while changing the water in my 135g, the wash basin in my basement overflowed creating a small pond. Luckily we have a drain right next to the wash basin and I just used a large squeegee to push the water towards it.
Old 10-21-2004, 02:53 PM   #11

AHA! so we're not the only ones!!

At elast you were in the basement, next to a drain..... although our warter did eventually get there

1 Blue Ram
3 Platies
2 Fancy Guppies
2 Balloon Mollies
2 Clown Loaches
1 L200 Pleco
1 Clown Pleco
Old 10-21-2004, 03:27 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to madasafish
LOL. Want to hear about my disaster?

I had plumbed together a few pieces of tubing in order to run water out ofmy tank, through a UV sterilizer, and back into the tank. Well, in the middle of the night, I heard a strange splashing noise (over all the other splashing noises in my various aquariums) and woke with a start. I sleep quite deeply except for a vigilance that something's going to happen to one of my tanks... One of the tubes had come unglued and water was pouring onto the floor at a rate of gallons per minute (pushed out of the aquarium by an Aquaclear 402 Powerhead!). Luckily, I'd woken just after it had started, and only a couple of gallons of water had started to accumulate on my (nice wooden) floor. I jumped out of bed and spent the next half hour sealing the tubes up. Arg!! Nasty water damage to the wood floor, but nothing else!
Old 10-22-2004, 11:44 AM   #13

wow, that's pretty bad, good thing you woke up!

1 Blue Ram
3 Platies
2 Fancy Guppies
2 Balloon Mollies
2 Clown Loaches
1 L200 Pleco
1 Clown Pleco

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com