Discoloration Around Gills (Dwarf Platy)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mermaid10790

Aquarium Advice Newbie
1~ Red Dwarf Platy, I have had him for 8 months now and he has been healthy up until 2 weeks ago. I noticed his scales around his gills were whiter than usual. Almost like white patches, not raised though, just a discoloration of his scales. I thought he had always had it and like a dummy ignored that first warning sign.:banghead: A week later he was hanging out at the top of the tank, not swimming with the others. An hour later he was floating at the bottom, unable to swim except on his side and he would then do the spinning thing, dying fish do. :nono:

I am new to keeping community tanks. I have had no problems until now. Everyone has been with me for 8-12 months and no problems until now.
2. 15 Gallon freshwater tank. Ph level is 7, zero nitrates,nitrites and I keep it at 80 degrees.
3~ ;The tank has was set up for 5 months, then we moved. All together it has been the same set up for one year. Same plants etc.
4~Filtration system: Aqueon quiet flow power filter. Model 20 for 20 gallon tanks
5. I have 3 Platys all full grown, 2 glass catfish (full grown) and one Kuhli Loach, full grown. All are healthy and have been in the tank for 6-8 months EXCEPT one glass catfish was introduced 3 months ago.
6~ I just did a water change last night after my dwarf platy passed away. I do a 25% water change once a week. with a hand pump vacuum.

Nothing new has been added to the tank. I feed them 2 types of flakes for tropical fish. One is earthworms the other is color enhancer/breeding enhancer. Bought from reputable source. This has been their same food for a year.

I am really sad to have lost my platy (Carl) he was awesome little guy. I don't want to lose anymore fish. I have no idea why he died, all my numbers are good and water is clear of anything I can test for. So far my other fish are acting fine, but what can I do to prevent this from happening again?? :bawl:

Thanks.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your concern and help. Everyone else is healthy and happy. My aquarium is healthy. It appears to have been an isolated incident.
Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom