Discus dying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shadowstars123

Aquarium Advice Freak
I came home to find my discus stuck to the filter, he isn't swimming and breathing slowly. Please help! I think it might be stressed from changing homes and the temperature seems to be fluctuation in my QT. I right now have him in a pail with an airstone. Help!

First off check ur water parameters and see if anything is out of place next is to heat the tank u need high temps 86 degrees

No test strips, placed him in my DT, temp 86 already. Water parameters perfect, 0 ammo, 0 nitrite, 5 nitrate. I also had a small school of guppy fry die in a breeder net in the same tank I found my discus in, as well as some ghost shrimp. I have another discus in the same tank, and he's as healthy as ever. What might be wrong? I believe it's from stress, and the temperature fluctuating.

Well the ghost shrimp is no surprise. Why do u think they are 30 cents? They may be stressed so go to your LFS and get a heater that is 3 times the gallons in your tank. For example 10 gallon needs a 30 watt or more heater.

It's a shame too, and yeah. I have a spare heater, and there are no fishes left in that tank, all of them got wiped out in one day, I have absolutely NO idea what happened either

shadowstar123,
The best thing you could do for him is to give him LOTS of clean warm water.
Unfortunately it sounds like you've got some kind of disease (or parasite) running through that DT.
Hard to suggest a med given the info.....but clean water will help.
It looks like you do water changes fairly often (with nitrates at 5) So keep up with the water changes.

Keep us posted,
Dennis

shadowstar123,
Unfortunately it sounds like you've got some kind of disease (or parasite) running through that DT.
It looks like you do water changes fairly often (with nitrates at 5) So keep up with the water changes.

Keep us posted,
Dennis

He/She already died :(

shadowstar123,

Keep us posted,
Dennis

Yeah, my discus already passed. When i stated all the fish died, i meant in the smaller tank my two discus were in, not my DT. as of now, one discus is the sole survivor out of all the fish, and i'm acclimating him now to my DT, since absolutely no fish have died ever in that tank. Dennis, is it possible that the temperature fluctuating from 86 down to 80 through the night the reason the fish died?

Yeah, my discus already passed. When i stated all the fish died, i meant in the smaller tank my two discus were in, not my DT. as of now, one discus is the sole survivor out of all the fish, and i'm acclimating him now to my DT, since absolutely no fish have died ever in that tank. Dennis, is it possible that the temperature fluctuating from 86 down to 80 through the night the reason the fish died?

Sorry for the loss shawdowstar123,
And 86 degrees to 80 degrees over a few hours time might of stressed the little guy out. Really there's no way of telling for sure.

Dennis

Sorry to hear that u lost one bud there cool fish to keep if ur looking to get more I would try simply discus it's a forum with a TON of them and all kinds of colors too

Is it possible that something contagious killed them? Because I'm acclimating the sole discus survivor to another tank, and I don't want my other fish to die also.

Back
Top Bottom