Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-22-2018, 06:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Disease

We upgraded from. 75L to 292L (77 US gallon) a few months ago. With more space we have added quite a few new fish incl clown loaches , cardinal tetras black phantom tetra and 3 extra angelfish. I have checked the water regularly as I was coming concerned about the amount of extra additions. We also added some extra plants. No trace of ammonia, no nitrites, no nitrates and ph about 7.8. I added some driftwood (from China, soaked in boiling water until no more tea colour)

Initially we lost 1 of the loaches, the carcass looked slimy and discoloured. Then our smaller original silver angel. Yesterday we lost our larger beautiful and graceful silver angelfish. After reading I am worried about slime disease and / or Gill flukes. I’ve not seen these before... is this what inflamed gills look like or is this just normal colouring. I have some malachite green, would this cure gill flukes?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2938.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	306465Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2942.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	306466Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2944.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	215.5 KB
ID:	306467Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2932.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	216.4 KB
ID:	306468 HMS Hermes

Old 01-22-2018, 09:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

What kind of test are you using? Liquid or strips? Have the fishes gills always been red or is it new? If they've always been red it's most likely just their coloration.

Old 01-22-2018, 09:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

? inflamed gills

The small yellow Angelfish has the redness on one side, and was like that when we bought him 2 weeks ago. We figured it was just colouration, but with the death of a few fish since then, I started wondering about disease, and noticed the colouration on some of the other fish, but couldnt get them to stay still long enough to get a pick. the remaining other 2 (new) Angels look ok.
None of the fish seem lethargic or unwell (but nor did the larger silver Angelfish before I found him on the bottom yesterday morning!) .

I use liquid test kit from API. After the swordtail died, I took some water and the new dead swordtail to the fish shop, and they also agreed no concerns in water chemistry.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

How did you cycle the new tank? Did you use the filter from the older tank or a new one? It's also odd that you have no nitrates.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:16 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180122_221518.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	306474 This is what it looks like to me from the picture. But Google blushing angel and see if any look like what you are seeing. Pictures can be deceiving!
Old 01-22-2018, 11:34 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucej View Post
We upgraded from. 75L to 292L (77 US gallon) a few months ago. With more space we have added quite a few new fish incl clown loaches , cardinal tetras black phantom tetra and 3 extra angelfish. I have checked the water regularly as I was coming concerned about the amount of extra additions. We also added some extra plants. No trace of ammonia, no nitrites, no nitrates and ph about 7.8. I added some driftwood (from China, soaked in boiling water until no more tea colour)

Initially we lost 1 of the loaches, the carcass looked slimy and discoloured. Then our smaller original silver angel. Yesterday we lost our larger beautiful and graceful silver angelfish. After reading I am worried about slime disease and / or Gill flukes. Iíve not seen these before... is this what inflamed gills look like or is this just normal colouring. I have some malachite green, would this cure gill flukes?

Attachment 306465Attachment 306466Attachment 306467Attachment 306468 HMS Hermes
Your angels gills are color of the breed you got. As for slim coat. when a fish dies in the tank and others eat off it (pick at it) they will usually become ill. Could be the plants too, but, that I don't know much about. Or what your adding for the plants. Also sometimes fish (from pet stores)that had ich will carry over to the second disease. It will take out the tank one by one. I'd treat it before you loss anymore. And if there's any fish looking the same way the others did I'd pull them and treat. Imo
Old 01-22-2018, 11:38 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angellove78 View Post
Your angels gills are color of the breed you got. As for slim coat. when a fish dies in the tank and others eat off it (pick at it) they will usually become ill. Could be the plants too, but, that I don't know much about. Or what your adding for the plants. Also sometimes fish (from pet stores)that had ich will carry over to the second disease. It will take out the tank one by one. I'd treat it before you loss anymore. And if there's any fish looking the same way the others did I'd pull them and treat. Imo
And watch their breathing
Old 01-23-2018, 12:53 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

With gill flukes you should be seeing the fish itch on the gravel. Other than fish randomly dying with no other symptoms I wouldn't just start dumping meds in the tank until you have a guess what to treat for. I'd look at all fish carefully after you rule out water issues and see if you can see any other symptoms and then go from there!
Old 01-23-2018, 05:26 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

0 nitrates make me wonder if you are doing the test properly???
You are shaking reagent #2 for a good 30 seconds before you add the 10 drops?
Tha angel looks like natural color..That is exactly why I could not keep them in my fish room..They looked like they had issues even though they didn't .
Hard to keep a stead fast eye on a fish that looks ill when it is not...
You should be able to note the operculum [gill plate] hanging open if the fish have gill flukes..Many disease start /hide and grow in the gills of fish where they have excellent exposure to O2 and can slowly feed on the host...
^^These are my weekly sales^^ GOT RAMS ???
coralbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 08:37 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

I agree with coralbandit about the 0 nitrates I would retest again after shaking the heck out of the second bottle. I usually hit it off my leg or knee while shaking it.

Tags
disease, sea

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com