Disease

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brucej

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We upgraded from. 75L to 292L (77 US gallon) a few months ago. With more space we have added quite a few new fish incl clown loaches , cardinal tetras black phantom tetra and 3 extra angelfish. I have checked the water regularly as I was coming concerned about the amount of extra additions. We also added some extra plants. No trace of ammonia, no nitrites, no nitrates and ph about 7.8. I added some driftwood (from China, soaked in boiling water until no more tea colour)

Initially we lost 1 of the loaches, the carcass looked slimy and discoloured. Then our smaller original silver angel. Yesterday we lost our larger beautiful and graceful silver angelfish. After reading I am worried about slime disease and / or Gill flukes. I’ve not seen these before... is this what inflamed gills look like or is this just normal colouring. I have some malachite green, would this cure gill flukes?

IMG_2938.jpgIMG_2942.jpgIMG_2944.jpgIMG_2932.jpg HMS Hermes

What kind of test are you using? Liquid or strips? Have the fishes gills always been red or is it new? If they've always been red it's most likely just their coloration.

? inflamed gills

The small yellow Angelfish has the redness on one side, and was like that when we bought him 2 weeks ago. We figured it was just colouration, but with the death of a few fish since then, I started wondering about disease, and noticed the colouration on some of the other fish, but couldnt get them to stay still long enough to get a pick. the remaining other 2 (new) Angels look ok.
None of the fish seem lethargic or unwell (but nor did the larger silver Angelfish before I found him on the bottom yesterday morning!) .

I use liquid test kit from API. After the swordtail died, I took some water and the new dead swordtail to the fish shop, and they also agreed no concerns in water chemistry.

How did you cycle the new tank? Did you use the filter from the older tank or a new one? It's also odd that you have no nitrates.

20180122_221518.jpg This is what it looks like to me from the picture. But Google blushing angel and see if any look like what you are seeing. Pictures can be deceiving!

We upgraded from. 75L to 292L (77 US gallon) a few months ago. With more space we have added quite a few new fish incl clown loaches , cardinal tetras black phantom tetra and 3 extra angelfish. I have checked the water regularly as I was coming concerned about the amount of extra additions. We also added some extra plants. No trace of ammonia, no nitrites, no nitrates and ph about 7.8. I added some driftwood (from China, soaked in boiling water until no more tea colour)

Initially we lost 1 of the loaches, the carcass looked slimy and discoloured. Then our smaller original silver angel. Yesterday we lost our larger beautiful and graceful silver angelfish. After reading I am worried about slime disease and / or Gill flukes. I’ve not seen these before... is this what inflamed gills look like or is this just normal colouring. I have some malachite green, would this cure gill flukes?

View attachment 306465View attachment 306466View attachment 306467View attachment 306468 HMS Hermes
Your angels gills are color of the breed you got. As for slim coat. when a fish dies in the tank and others eat off it (pick at it) they will usually become ill. Could be the plants too, but, that I don't know much about. Or what your adding for the plants. Also sometimes fish (from pet stores)that had ich will carry over to the second disease. It will take out the tank one by one. I'd treat it before you loss anymore. And if there's any fish looking the same way the others did I'd pull them and treat. Imo

Your angels gills are color of the breed you got. As for slim coat. when a fish dies in the tank and others eat off it (pick at it) they will usually become ill. Could be the plants too, but, that I don't know much about. Or what your adding for the plants. Also sometimes fish (from pet stores)that had ich will carry over to the second disease. It will take out the tank one by one. I'd treat it before you loss anymore. And if there's any fish looking the same way the others did I'd pull them and treat. Imo
And watch their breathing

With gill flukes you should be seeing the fish itch on the gravel. Other than fish randomly dying with no other symptoms I wouldn't just start dumping meds in the tank until you have a guess what to treat for. I'd look at all fish carefully after you rule out water issues and see if you can see any other symptoms and then go from there!

0 nitrates make me wonder if you are doing the test properly???
You are shaking reagent #2 for a good 30 seconds before you add the 10 drops?
Tha angel looks like natural color..That is exactly why I could not keep them in my fish room..They looked like they had issues even though they didn't .:facepalm:
Hard to keep a stead fast eye on a fish that looks ill when it is not...
You should be able to note the operculum [gill plate] hanging open if the fish have gill flukes..Many disease start /hide and grow in the gills of fish where they have excellent exposure to O2 and can slowly feed on the host...

I agree with coralbandit about the 0 nitrates I would retest again after shaking the heck out of the second bottle. I usually hit it off my leg or knee while shaking it.

Here's mine to give you a better idea too. IMAG2511.jpghe's alittle bit bigger now but still same color pattern. Mostly a mix with marble, blushing, and koi, or gold angel all in one.

Thank you again for all the comments. No further casualties so haven’t rushed into any medicine, since it looks like the red on the angel is just normal markings.

I did run a test again today before I did my water change. Today was the first time since getting the tank that the nitrates looked ever so slightly discoloured rather than pure yellow ie trace nitrates. (and yes I have the bottles a good shake as suggested) . Test at fish shop have similar results. Maybe once the fish grow a bit there will be more nitrates than the plants can use.
IMG_2952.jpg

Thank you again for all the comments. No further casualties so haven’t rushed into any medicine, since it looks like the red on the angel is just normal markings.

I did run a test again today before I did my water change. Today was the first time since getting the tank that the nitrates looked ever so slightly discoloured rather than pure yellow ie trace nitrates. (and yes I have the bottles a good shake as suggested) . Test at fish shop have similar results. Maybe once the fish grow a bit there will be more nitrates than the plants can use.
View attachment 306517
If they all seem fine now, might of been just because of the difference in the water from the store to your tank. Even though we all try our very best to get them adjusted to our water types, some still can't handle something's. Could be alot of different reasons. The different types of fish, the water, light, new surroundings, so on... I'm glad things are OK. Hope they continue that way. Good luck.

Still feeling a bit paranoid. Noticed a bit of something dangling from one of the gourami. Is this a parasite or just a bit of poo!

IMG_2962 edit.jpgIMG_2954edit.jpg

Yet another casualty. Found!

Another clown loach on the bottom. He was swimming a little odd, rather than upright, was 30degrees sideways yesterday and didn’t come feed yesterday with the others. His colours have faded after death but we’re ok yesterday.... was planning on taking shotgun approach, and getting some ‘multicure’ and praziquantel to cover both bacteria and parasitic causes unless someone has some clever ideas based on the photo

IMG_2968.jpgIMG_2967.jpg

How often are you doing water changes? And when you got the tank what did you us to wash it?

Had another casualty so I did a treatment with Multicure (malachite green +acriflavin+methylene blue) used 1/2 dose as recommended since we have clown loaches and a pleco , 2nd dose after 3days I was nervous so only used 20ml rather than the full 1/2 dose of 37ml) loaches and pleco fine, and looked more lively. I’ve never seen any sign of disease despite the multiple fatalaties soon only did the 2 doses. Then did daily water changes to get rid of the green. Last night before 2nd water change found a dead gourami on bottom. This morning another dead angelfish. Any thoughts. ? Longer course of Multicure ? Praziquantel ? Something else

Water ph 7.8 , zero ammonia, nitrites, nitrates temp 29C

Back
Top Bottom