Disease wiping out tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deadmanwalking

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all, I'm going to get straight to the point here:

A few months ago my dwarf gourami started laying on its side. It done this more frequently over a couple of days until It no longer swam. Then it died. Then my firemouth cichlid, crayfish, 2 swordtails, honey gourami and tetras died afterwards- all over the space of a few short weeks. Then everything was fine until around 2 weeks later my elephant nose had the same thing and died.

Then, again things were okay. The only problem was a cloudy eye in my angelfish but I was treating that. Then yesterday my angelfish stopped swimming completely and died that night. Now today my other angel is doing the same thing - although it has a few ripped scales as well. Right now it is just lying down on the gravel with rapidly moving fills.

The tank is 33 gallons and today's water test showed a pH of 6 and high nitrates (like, really high - 200ppm). I then done a water change today but I'm afraid the damage has already been done.

So, this is the only thing I can think of to do to try and save this angelfish. Does anyone have any information on how I can make this go away?

Thanks

Your nitrate levels are killing your fish, you might want to read up on tank care and stocking your tank. At first glance, it seems you had too many fish in your tank, angel fish get as big as a hand, they should be in 55 gal minimum, a 30 is too small...not really room to swim.

Also, an elephant nose is definitely to big for a 30 gallon, they also emit small electrical charges that can disrupt and /or harm other fish.

The best advice I can give is do research first before making a community tank.

My 30 gallon has 1 betta, 1 malabar Puffer, 1 rubberlip pleco and a deformed guppy who can not swim well and that it....small fish for a small environment.

I hope this helps and good luck

Sounds like poor water chemistry caused by lack of water changes. Please look up some of the articles on this site about the nitrogen cycle and the importance of regular water changes. This will ensure a happy and healthy aquarium.

Water changes are the number one thing you can do (besides maintaining a constant water chemistry) to keep your fish healthy.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom