disinfecting ich tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the Ents

Aquarium Advice Regular
Soooo, our 15G Qtank was decimated (sob, snif) by a tankload of botia angelicas with ich. Died during their quarantine period, 2days apart. I wondered why the lfs was selling these beaties for $1 @ - they looked fine, and then Wham!
Our angels in the 55 gave birth around the same time to about 40-50, and we've just let the 15 sit, fishless but unchanged, during their infancy. (business was our excuse..)
I'm looking to put a few of the lil beasties in it, to clear some room in the 55G.

You can call it laziness, or whatever, but do ich tomites survive 6wks of 80 degree water, with no host to infect? will they still be lurking in my substrate or filter? We will bleach everything if necessary, cuz i'd not want to lose any of my babies. Maybe the babies can still stay in the 55 with mums and da for a little while longer...

What do you all think?
thanks, The Ents

I don't know if they can or not, but I would assume they can. I would raise the temp in the 15 to above 86F for as long as possible (2 weeks, if you can) and that would take care of that, without the need for any chemicals. Then lower the temp back down for the wee bairns.

Thanks for replying guys,
ERP, while i was slowly typing, my BF emptied the tank.

So, we've cleaned, dechlored, and air-dried, and refilled with the the water from the main tank. Which means, i think, that the water params match? However the biowheel in my penguin also air-dried...
Are we being stupid to try to use it again?
The fish aren't in it yet...
thks, the Ents

Have you added any aquarium salt? The right amount of salt can also keep ich from surviving.

Back
Top Bottom