Disinfecting tank with bleach how much?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moshi78

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everybody, as some of you know a disease crashed my tank and killed everything. Whatever the disease was, I believe took a couple months to show..I’ve drained the tank and disassembled everything.. was curious for recommendations on how to bleach.. it’s a 75g so it’s staying put. Do I fill with water and add bleach? How much bleach is recommended for a 75g tank? How long to soak the tank? And should I run the filters as well during the bleach period? And then lots of rinsing and dechlor..Thanks a lot.

Thanks coral good article.. the part that is confusing me is 9 parts water to one part bleach.. in a 75 gallon tank that would be 8 gallons of bleach..surely 8 gallons is overkill.. I think I’m missing something. Do I mix a 9 to 1 in a bucket and dump that in the almost full tank and run everything or do I just dump a cup or two in the tank and run it? Sorry for all the questions just wanna make sure I kill everything... thanks again will read link again in case I missed something.

9:1 is about 8 gallons of bleach..
That is what the protocol is...
Many other links say the same..
You don't want to be too lite as bleach even properly used will not kill all possible issues...

Haha.. wow.. I was just gonna pour a cup in there.. lol.. thanks a lot coral I will pick up 7 more gallons and give it a shot.. thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom