Distressed Green Tiger Barb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fedex3d

Aquarium Advice Activist
I added 3 strawberry barbs and 2 green tiger barbs and added 1 decoration. They seem to be readjusting the hierarchy and seem to have found one to pick on. He has been keeping to himself and has been swimming at 45 degrees as a sign of submission. Today I've noticed that is pelvic fins are missing. Im going to quarantine him but will I ever be able to re introduce him to the tank ?? See the attached pictures....

ForumRunner_20120814_193135.jpg

ForumRunner_20120814_193157.jpg

I will say no... It's low man on the totem pole as far as the other barbs are concerned. Same thing happened to an albino that I eventually had to put down. Do you only have these 5 barbs? If so you can try adding a few more to rearrange the hierarchy .. After the green has recovered.

If you alredy have more TB's and can't fit any more ... Best to rehome it to an LFS that'll take it.

I had a feeling he would have to stay out. Right now there are 3 tiger, 3 green tiger, 3 albino, 3 strawberry, & 3 juvi black rubys so probably won't add any more. I know it sounds stupid but I wonder if they picked him out because he was odd man out on the numbers being number 4 ?? Thanks for the response !!

Fedex3d said:
I had a feeling he would have to stay out. Right now there are 3 tiger, 3 green tiger, 3 albino, 3 strawberry, & 3 juvi black rubys so probably won't add any more. I know it sounds stupid but I wonder if they picked him out because he was odd man out on the numbers being number 4 ?? Thanks for the response !!

You have sufficient numbers to maintain an occupied shoal ... Meaning they'll bicker more with each other than bother tank-mates. Also means one has to be the alpha, another low man.

Is your green it by chance the smallest or one of the smaller? The runts are usually the ones that get bullied the most ... Low man. With TB's when you add new fish, you basically restructure the hierarchy ... The previous alpha finds it has to reassert it's dominance so you see the nose to nose dance ... Color becomes a bit more muted and the fins are all displayed.

jcolon said:
You have sufficient numbers to maintain an occupied shoal ... Meaning they'll bicker more with each other than bother tank-mates. Also means one has to be the alpha, another low man.

Is your green it by chance the smallest or one of the smaller? The runts are usually the ones that get bullied the most ... Low man. With TB's when you add new fish, you basically restructure the hierarchy ... The previous alpha finds it has to reassert it's dominance so you see the nose to nose dance ... Color becomes a bit more muted and the fins are all displayed.

I was kinda shocked because he was 1 of the larger fish in the group. But l think he was one of the few from a different lfs. With him removed will they now find a new weaker one to pick on ??

Fedex3d said:
I was kinda shocked because he was 1 of the larger fish in the group. But l think he was one of the few from a different lfs. With him removed will they now find a new weaker one to pick on ??

Maybe ... With TB's you never know ... However, since it's one of the larger, you could try reintroducing once it's healed. Maybe it was a bit sick or injured so they picked on it? I had to rehome my small albino to a 10gal a few times ... Each time I re-introduced it was ok for a week, then I'd notice day after day it hid and it's fins getting shorter and shorter, meaning it was nipped. In my case it was the brash runt that was in plenty of alpha fights, then and after my shoal's current alpha put it in it's place, it started getting bullied and never really accepted back.

jcolon said:
Maybe ... With TB's you never know ... However, since it's one of the larger, you could try reintroducing once it's healed. Maybe it was a bit sick or injured so they picked on it? I had to rehome my small albino to a 10gal a few times ... Each time I re-introduced it was ok for a week, then I'd notice day after day it hid and it's fins getting shorter and shorter, meaning it was nipped. In my case it was the brash runt that was in plenty of alpha fights, then and after my shoal's current alpha put it in it's place, it started getting bullied and never really accepted back.

I will add some stress coat and some medication in case there's some fin rot involved while he is in quarintine. Then re introduce him when he's healed and see what happens.... Thanks for the help !!

Fedex3d said:
I will add some stress coat and some medication in case there's some fin rot involved while he is in quarintine. Then re introduce him when he's healed and see what happens.... Thanks for the help !!

Good luck! Glad I could help.

Back
Top Bottom