Do fish get scars?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MonkeyMonk86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just moved this "emerald green cory" from QT to main tank and saw this raised linear white patch on him. I think it might be a scar. Or maybe he got nicked on something. He's normal and happy otherwise. He was in QT 16 days.
The bad side:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409007962.990572.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409007982.979897.jpg
From the top ( white looks raggedy)ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409008209.947566.jpg
His other side:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409008006.388490.jpg

Do I start any meds?
If, yes, will they affect the BB?
Should I take him out and put him in his own QT?
Should I just watch and wait?

29 gallon
0 ammonia
0 nitrites
2-3 nitrates
UV Sterilizer on (getting rid of brown algae)
Last PWC Saturday afternoon. ( and today for the QT tank. I removed all ornaments to catch him in a container)

Other occupants:
3 zebra glofish danio
1 bronze cory
3 sparkling gouramis

Aquaclear50 HOB
100 gph powerhead with 360 deflector/rotater
Tank up 84 days. (Fully cycled on 37th day.)

I have Stress Zyme but am holding off for responses.

BTW. My other cory is like a puppy and has been "snuggling" and touching him with his barbels. He's just so happy to have company. So, if it's something contageous... My "Lonely Guy" had been exposed.

(Friend of Bill W., One day at a time)

Hi, I'd skip the stress zyme for the moment (below). I'm wary on bacterial products and injured fish. Stress coat I would add if you have it (no effect on bb). I wonder if he wedged in somewhere, got stuck at the top fin and had to reverse out? If there is no white fuzz on the line, I would leave him where he is since he sounds fine. Any turn for the worse and back into QT.

Welcome to API Fishcare: STRESS ZYME®

Thank you so much, Delapool! I'm grateful for your advice!!!

I'm nuts today... Yes, I have stress coat (idk why I thought I had stress Zyme). I will add the stress coat right now.

His other old QT tank mates checked out fine (as far as I can tell). I must have nicked him with the container or maybe he scratched himself on something.

I didn't notice the uneven-ness until after I posted. I originally thought it was a scar. Then, after looking real good at the overhead pic, I went back and edited and added all the info.

This is why I cringe when I look at some of the décor at places like big box stores. One had what looked like a good deal on a store brand cichlid stones. I went and looked at them and could have cut my finger on the coating around the opening. I could see a startled fish darting into it and shredding scales . It should not be sold with sharp or abrasive coatings.

Mikem, I 100% agree on that one. Every ornament that I have bought I've had to use a pedicure sander on. Honestly, I have found only 1 cave out of all the ornaments that didn't require sanding ( I think it was sprayed with a polymer after it was made ).

I did have lava rocks covered with moss growing out in their QT and the lava rocks do have some sharp edges that the moss hasn't covered yet. Could have been that.

He looks better today. So, I hoping it was a nick and doesn't become an infection site. I'm going to PWC early this week and add more stress coat and keep the UV on. ( I'll add more pics, if I can get some today)

It must have been a scratch. I think it is healing nicely. In the overhead pic it looks like the fuzzyness is gone and the linear white line is pretty much gone. The bigger "gouge" is still there but looks better.

Only used Stress Coat as Delapool suggested
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409159238.938693.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409159250.949132.jpg

Back
Top Bottom