Do fishless tanks recycle when fish are added back in?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lawdawg18

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hope this makes a little sense!!
I have an fishless 55 and a fishless 29gal tank. I had to move the 55 so it sat without the filters running for a week with only a couple inches of water in it to keep the plants alive. It is now full, filters, and all running.
The 29 was a brackish tank, i took it down and cleaned it but used gravel from the 55 went into the 29. ( i was going to turn the 55 into salt and planed to replace all the gravel but since changed my mind) anyway.
Will these tanks have to cycle again? They both have a huge amount of snails in them. Basicly the 55 is unchanged except the water, it just sat with out the filters actually running.
The 29 was totally cleaned but the gravel is used.

Sorry for the confusion.
Jason

They shouldn't take as long to cycle since they had bacteria there to start from but if you give it a week or so, it should be fine. Usually cycling takes about a month.

I would not introduce fish right away. Put in straight ammonia until you get 5ppm and then and test daily. The cycle should go quickly.

Agreed...there will be some level of cycling, although its anyones guess as to how much exactly....putting in more than a couple of fish at first could be disastrous.

Back
Top Bottom