Do harlequin rasbora get "pregnant" looking or is it bloat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daven

Aquarium Advice Freak
We have some smaller harlequin rasboras in my girlfriends community tank and one has a quite large stomach. Reminds me of her pregnant female guppies, although i believe rasboras are egg layers so i am worried its bloat or some kind of parasite. Opinions?

Attachments

• 12083843_10205954245428483_41079086_n.jpg
    12083843_10205954245428483_41079086_n.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 609
No haven't had to treat anything and I just noticed it. It's my girlfriends tank so I usually leave it alone lol do egg layers get large from that too? I've only had live bearers and my mouth brooding cichlid haven't spawned for me yet

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I can try for a closer picture when I'm home tonight if that would help

She is just full of eggs. They like to lay their eggs on the underside of broad leafed plants where the leaves hang over. The ones I see in that tank mostly go straight up and down. You could consider adding an ideal plant for spawning. Also, I'm not saying that she is egg bound, but that can happen.

Have you or your girlfriend ever noticed them spawning?

I never spent much time watching the tank, but I don't think she ever mentioned them acting weird. Do you know how they act in spawning? We just added new decor and rearranged the tank, so I doubt we would find any previous eggs now. But that's good to know, I'll definitely keep an eye out now!

Hopefully that's what it is, but so far I haven't noticed anything to convince me it's an actual Illness quite yet

Those fish look quite healthy to me...I would research plants to add that will be conducive to them spawning. They will most likely eat any deposited eggs shortly after spawning. What concerns me is that she may not be spawning because she does not have suitable vegetation. It's worth researching.

Good luck.

We have fake plants and before there weren't many that would be suitable. She just bought another bunch of fake plants so maybe now will be better for them

The "plants" you can see in the picture are the majority of the ones she has

Ok I appreciate the help guy!. I just wanted a second opinion since I'm used to taking bloat very seriously with my mbuna tank lol I'll keep an eye on things and make sure all stays well

Unfortunately, i have to bring this thread back up. Noticed today that her neon tetras are starting to get the same belly. Looks more bumpy instead of a smooth swollen stomach, if that means anything to anybody. And even on a couple of her male guppies as well. So tomorrow i will have to make a trip to the fish store to look into some medications. Does anybody have any recommendations?

I don't know much but distended stomachs in other animals makes me think of parasites. Have you observed their excrement?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Here a link I find useful.

http://www.oscarfish.com/article-home/healthdisease/119-fish-bloat.html

Would also check ph, ammonia and nitrates just in case. Extra water change as well also just in case.

Then food quality, date and amount fed.

Um, also if there are any other signs on fish eg pop-eye, scales missing, colour loss, dropsy.

Well tested water and 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and apeared to be a whopping 50 or so ppm nitrate. I find it hard to tell the exact amount with my Nutrafin liquid test kits. PH said around 7 or 7.5, but it always seemed to say that and ive had it tested elsewhere and read more like 7.8 (what our tapwater is around here). The nitrates shouldnt have been that high, i tested to see what it was at not too long ago and it was only at like 20ppm. Maybe the test drop mix wasnt quite right. I just did a large water change, around 60-70% to get that better. Now we read under 10 for nitrates. I tested twice this time to be sure. So im not sure if i was mistaking the previous reading as darker or what. Either way, things are low now if anything

She has been feeding them i tropical flake called TetraColor the last couple weeks. Before was an unnamed flake we got from a friend to start with, probably not the highest quality. We also started feediing a bottom feeder sinking wafer for the catfish, just in the last couple days so not a part of this.

I beleive the reason for this is the addition of new fish without a quarantine tank (i know, i know... we just dont have the means to keep a tank for that). She got the tetras around two weeks ago or so. Then the corries and 3 more rasboras (she had 4 before) just last weekend. Also as we added the last group we also removed some unwanted guppies so the bioload would be ok still. At the moment she has 3 guppies, 7 rasbora, 4 neon tetra, and 4 panda corries. Temp is set to 77*

Sigh so much to type... sorry guys :/ Anyways, i cant see any eyes popping out or scales flaring. However these fish are pretty small and i have never actually seen these sign before. Fish are all out and seem to be eating good. Aside from 3 of the corries stay hidden, which i figured was because they had to get used to things but could be a sign. The 4th has been out constantly swimming around.

Attachments

• 12080805_10205987223172906_196290691_n.jpg
    12080805_10205987223172906_196290691_n.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 105
  • 12092447_10205987223252908_625871598_n.jpg
    12092447_10205987223252908_625871598_n.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 106
For the amount fed, she hadnt been timing it but it didnt seem like too much. I am making her time it for 30 seconds a day now. And tomorrow we will not feed them. Do peeled peas help these fish get some roughage through? I know with my mbuna it is good to do so every once in a while so i can do that with these guys if its recomended and if theyll actually eat it lol

EDIT: Well i just took a glance at the ingredients in this tetracolor food, and it has dyes and crap like that in it? Im assuming that cant be healthy considering red dye is supposed to be real bad isnt it? If this turns out to be a bad choice, please recommend what the tropical fish world generally says are the best for these fish please! Ill see what i can find at the store when i go if thats the case

In the first pic those are fake plants right? It looks like mother in law tongue (forgot scientific name) and it's not an aquatic plant.
Some corys just hide. I think it depends on how they were raised.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Omega One, New Life Spectrum, Cobalt are all good brands. I personally don't like Tetra products and don't use any of them.

In the first pic those are fake plants right? It looks like mother in law tongue (forgot scientific name) and it's not an aquatic plant.
Some corys just hide. I think it depends on how they were raised.

Yeah fake from the store here. Seems to be a popular plant around the fish stores ive been in. Couldnt tell ya what theyre modeled after

And thank you for the food suggestions. I think last time i was in there they had some NLS freshly in so ill probably pick up some of that. I use NLS pellets for my fish and havent heard anything bad about the brand really

Back
Top Bottom