Do my cories have velvet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

College Kid

Aquarium Advice Activist
Bout a week and a half ago, I noticed my cories scratching on gravel. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that they had a metallic green/gold dust on them. I suspected velvet, and have been treating with quick cure (had it left after an ich situation from a little over a month ago) for a week. All the scratching has since stopped, but that dust is still there. After stopping by lfs, petsmart, and petco, I've noticed that all their cories look the same as mine. Should I continue treating? I don't want to overmed a problem that doesn't exist...

They are peppered cories. I have two, and both show this coloration. Would it be wise to observe the metallic pattern and see if it changes over time?

My peppered corys have the same coloration, I would say don't worry about it if it wasn't for the fact they were scratching. So yeah, just keep an eye on them for a bit, keep the water clean and see if the patterns change.

Your Corydoras Question

Bout a week and a half ago, I noticed my cories scratching on gravel. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that they had a metallic green/gold dust on them. I suspected velvet, and have been treating with quick cure (had it left after an ich situation from a little over a month ago) for a week. All the scratching has since stopped, but that dust is still there. After stopping by lfs, petsmart, and petco, I've noticed that all their cories look the same as mine. Should I continue treating? I don't want to overmed a problem that doesn't exist...

Hello College...

With the exception of using a water treatment, I've never used chemicals in my planted tanks. Every tank is a little different and you never now how a chemcial will affect fish in a "community tank".

If you suspect a parasite is affecting your fish, then start doing large, weekly water changes of at least half the volume of the tank and vacuum the substrate if and where it's possible. It wouldn't hurt to raise the temperature in the tank to 80 degrees for a couple of weeks.

By flushing a lot of pure, treated water through your tank and adding a little warmth, you could do a lot more for your fish than putting chemicals into the water.

B

Thought pics might help you guys help me so here's a few. It's the metallic looking dust that I suspect (and have been treating like) is velvet. Concentrated near gills and pectoral fins, but goes across their sides under a flashlight.

Attachments

• image-3911796655.jpg
    image-3911796655.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 65
  • image-3173517382.jpg
    image-3173517382.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 74
  • image-3197881536.jpg
    image-3197881536.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 62
No real knowledge to contribute here, but..
1. I agree with just doing water changes
2. Great killjoy avatar!! XD
Lol sorry for the hijack but I hope u figure out what's going on!

BBradbury said:
Hello College...

With the exception of using a water treatment, I've never used chemicals in my planted tanks. Every tank is a little different and you never now how a chemcial will affect fish in a "community tank".

If you suspect a parasite is affecting your fish, then start doing large, weekly water changes of at least half the volume of the tank and vacuum the substrate if and where it's possible. It wouldn't hurt to raise the temperature in the tank to 80 degrees for a couple of weeks.

By flushing a lot of pure, treated water through your tank and adding a little warmth, you could do a lot more for your fish than putting chemicals into the water.

B

I don't really have the ability to do large water changes (like 50% or so) at the moment (bucket limitation and I live upstairs in a loft apartment and it's a haaaaaassle lugging water up and down stairs). Do you think 2 water changes of 25%-30% a week suffice? Or even every other day?

Healthy Peppered Cories have a metallic sheen. In your pics they look fine ?
Scratching/flashing isn't good. BUT Cories are Scaleless fish, so read any meds CAREFULLY !! Any warnings about sensitive fish usually includes Cories.

Test your water. Consider changing to a smooth sand bottom someday ( better for Cories and their barbels ) and keep an eye on them.

My Cory pics are on my profile page.

I don't really have the ability to do large water changes (like 50% or so) at the moment (bucket limitation and I live upstairs in a loft apartment and it's a haaaaaassle lugging water up and down stairs). Do you think 2 water changes of 25%-30% a week suffice? Or even every other day?

Hello again College...

I understand the bucket routine. I've been doing that type of water change for several years and also carry the 5 gallon buckets up the stairs. I have tanks on two floors at my house.

The large, weekly water changes are best, but you do what you can, right? A couple of water changes a week is better than none.

B

Thanks Bradbury. I'll stick to every other day to flush good water into the system.

Coursair said:
Test your water. Consider changing to a smooth sand bottom someday ( better for Cories and their barbels ) and keep an eye on them.

I've been considering changing the substrate for a while actually. Their barbels have always looked fine to me, but what should I look for to see if they're damaged exactly? Just the obvious scratch/wound stuff, or will they turn red or something?

What happened

Hey I found your post with a google search and wanted to follow up and see how your cories are doing.

I also have a couple cories with gold dusting around their gill areas and wanted to know if they could possibly have velvet, too.

Thanks in advance!

s thomas said:
Hey I found your post with a google search and wanted to follow up and see how your cories are doing.

I also have a couple cories with gold dusting around their gill areas and wanted to know if they could possibly have velvet, too.

Thanks in advance!

They're doing absolutely fine, thanks for asking! I've come to learn that healthy peppered corys do have a metallic green dusting. I stopped treating, and months later they are healthy and getting huge! They all look happy.

They're doing absolutely fine, thanks for asking! I've come to learn that healthy peppered corys do have a metallic green dusting. I stopped treating, and months later they are healthy and getting huge! They all look happy.

Thanks for responding to me, and I'm glad your guys are doing well and growing fast!

Since I asked you, I did go visit a lot of the local fish stores like you did and discovered the same thing: this gold flecking is pretty common. In fact, I've been finding the best way to see what fish should look like is through the forums where people have galleries with troves of pictures of their fish. I like mine, but wow, people are really really into this. I mean that in the best way.

Anyway, thanks again!

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom