Do you quarantine new arrivals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

George9

Aquarium Advice Addict
Do you guys quarantine new fish before adding it to the "show" tank?

George9 said:
Do you guys quarantine new fish before adding it to the "show" tank?

I wish I could but my current house is too small/ old for more tanks. :(. Will be different soon tho. :)

I didnt at first but I sure do now after reading on here and realizing how bad it would suck to lose the fish I have now with thier personallities ive come to know.

All new fish go into a QT for a minimum of 4-5 weeks, no exceptions for me. Some of my fish have taken me years to find and it would be foolish to risk that kind of investment.

Depending on the source of the fish, I may or may not do QT. I lean more heavily towards doing it since neon tetra disease wiped out half of my community tank.

Absolutely ,,Its a must,not just for disease prevention ,but just to let the new fish get some food and settling in time without being harassed by established tank mates right away ..I do also put every new fish through hypo

I've actually never done a QT before. I have had beginner's luck with a lot of fish, for example my GBRs have survived all the crap I have put them through, everything from massive tank die-offs, to ick infections (introduced by neon tetras, unfortunately), and mini-cycles. It just happens for a reason.

I currently don't have the room for a QT tank, so it's not an option for me unfortunately...but I am trying to get one eventually after reading all the horror stories of what can go wrong when you don't QT.

I just started my tank this year and I'm already planning on getting a QT after an incident.

For those of you that use QT tanks, what size are you using?

For those of you that use QT tanks, what size are you using?

Really depends on what type of fish you keep, for me it's 4 40B's set up with PFS and running large sponge filters. A sponge filter would be easy for you as well, just toss it into your sump while your not running a QT then when the need arises your set at a moments notice with a cycled tank.

I use a ten gallon tank. Some don't decorate, but mine is with old decor my dad gave me from his garage when my wife told him about the tanks. I have had no sickness, and it is the only tank with a pond snail. Kind a pretty one, actually ..

Ive got a 10 gallon also that became my fry tank suddenly (no purchases planned) I have a 30 gal that will become my fry soon and the 10 gal will be my QT/hospital, I keep some seeded rings in the HOB filters just in case.

I don't QT freshwater, and I haven't been doing saltwater either, but I may start within the year.........

I'm using a 55g for now, and if needed for medicating I have a 10g ready to go. At some point soon I will be getting a free 29g full setup from my b/f's mom and I will use that for qt and medicating.

I will just use a sponge filter and no sand or rock and will add some pvc tubes for their hiding. Oh and a heater and powerhead most likely too.

I have never qt'ed any of my fish. I get them all from my LFS which has awesome quality fish, and I look the whole tank over thoroughly. If any fish seem "off" or if there is a dead fish, which is really rare, I won't buy a fish from the tank.

I have a ten gallon qt bought after a horror story I use a ten because it takes little medication no substrate just a heater filter and cave all new fish get qt for 3 weeks my lfs qt as well but better safe then sorry

I was doing the same exact thing, my lfs has sold me over a dozen fish and a dozen corals with never a problem. BUT that day did come and theres nothing that would have helped except qt'ing the tang I got from them. Live and learn.

Hope your luck holds, mine did for a year almost but then reality set in and I got caught with "my pants down" so to speak adn lost 6 fish in a 4 day span pretty much. Besides the actual fish dying I also lost some serious money. Luckily I had some survive the mystery illness and after over two months I am restocking again, this time using a qt.

Back
Top Bottom