Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-11-2008, 07:46 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Question Does a fish tail grow back?

i have a friend, she has a 75 gal with one baby oscar in it, hes no more than an inch id say

she has one of those corner filters and i dont know how but her little O manged to sneak in behind it and when it tried to swim out its tail got snagged, imagine a fish sandwiched between platisc and glass and trying to wriggle its way free !

and before she could help get the O out of its predicament, the little guy pulled out and the part of his tail that was stuck between the glass and the filter was well, missing . cut of pretty much, and i just want to know.. will it grow back?

however, he seems to be doing fine, eating well and happy, though he does have a little problem with cordination (no surpirse) and has to put in alot of effort to swim in the right direction since he pretty much has no tail left. :-|

is there anything i should recomend to her to feed her O that might maybe help? im goin gto be taking the O from her in a months time when i get a bigger tank, so i want to help it get healthy!

Bug

Old 12-11-2008, 11:03 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Really the BEST thing your friend can do to help the little oscar is do really frequent water changes. Super clean water will help tremendously in healing. If it was mostly the tail fin it will grow back. I have seen some fish with barely a nub after a bad case of fin rot and it grew back with lots of tlc.
You really want to watch for signs of an opportunistic infection though, lots of clean water will also help prevent this from happening.
I wish you all the best!

Old 12-11-2008, 11:21 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Happygirl is correct I have seen the same thing. One of my baloon mollies had her tail completely rot off and it took about 2 weeks and there it was again.. lots of pwc. i would suggest if you have one put the oscar in a smaller QT tank it will make PWCs a little easier

36 BowFront Reef
LED PoweredPlanted 3G Picotope (Build thread)
Jnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 01:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have two bangaii cardinals (B&W with long fins) and the bigger one was picking on the smaller one to the point where the smaller one's bottom fins were 1/2 as long as they had been. I was so pleasantly surprised that they have mostly grown back while the cardinals are in a hospital tank being treated for ich. And a side benefit of having them in a smaller tank with no rocks to hide behind and water changes every other day has been that they seem to now get along!
Old 12-11-2008, 06:10 PM   #5

i have a mean little golden BP called Jaws, cause he picks on everyone and steals all the food, had him in with my O Bahful in one tank, but he kept bullying Bashful so i seperated them, and i decided to try out a bottom feeder whome i named Mop and another red BP i named Patience for my tank and put them in with Jaws ( a diffrnt tank then Bashul).
im not sure to the type of bottom feeder Mop was as they only seem to sell one specific species here ( its ugly and black with lots of dark spots and weird looking fins).

Mop was in there for two days, and eating well and looked happy, though i started to notice that his weird looking fins were missing!.. and i noticed my two BPs poking him whenever they could reach him. then i went out for a few hours and came back and found Mop on the bottom of the tank dead, tail half eaten and all fins gone. and the criminals responsible swimming around him. i never read it anywhere about BPs eating a bottom feeder alive, and it just freaked me out.

and now i think i have a mating pair with me, Jaws in showing the pink colouration under his gills and the sharp egded anal fins said to be common to males and Patience the rounder anal fins said to be common to females, though i know these are not accurate ways to sex BPs, they have been seemingly more agressive and have been having alot of beak lock ins which im suspecting is courtship. so i guess i might just have to rename my little fin eating murderes to Bonnie and Clyde. (how they got about to actually nibbling the fins off with the state of their mouth being unable to close baffles me)
Old 12-11-2008, 06:30 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

what are BPs ?
Old 12-11-2008, 06:47 PM   #7

BP's are Blood Parrots.. =) Blood parrot cichlid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 12-12-2008, 10:25 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I had a near finless danio (attacked by tiger barb) that I thought had died turn up in a plant cluster - no caudal, pec or dorsal to speak of. I nearly iced it. Months later they grew in all crazy like - with extra flair. Deformed and functional, larger than any other danio in the tank. . .
Old 12-14-2008, 12:43 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

well, also along with the water changes, i cant help but wonder if some form of stresscoat medication would help. others with more experience may be able to pipe in, but i have found some of the differant medications with aloe vera and other passive ingredients helps keep a nice slime coating on the fish when they are injured or sick.

im not reccommending dropping in any of those nasty wonder drugs availble at most grocery stores, but a good addative with a good reputation may not be a bad thing to toss in the tank.

i can say the stuff has helped my fish recover from some nasty scrapes (bettas with ripped fins, corrys that got sucked on by evil BNCs, the list goes on). maybe some of that along with frequent water changes would speed recovery.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:47 AM   #10

well since i have no experience with sick or hurt fish, i dont want to risk telling her to use any sort of medication at the moment, could just end up hurting the fish even more. shes been doing the water changes, his tail looked like a half moon in the beggining when he just lost it, but now ist forming back again into a nice rounded fin.

Tags
tail

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com