Does anyone know what this is?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jgparker

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This 1.5" tiger barbs fins are rotting away or he is being picked on. I have 11 tbs in a 75 gallon tank. Here are some pics of the fish in question and the tank.

image-1929674154.jpg

Fin rot?

image-2253740428.jpg

Tank grave substrate

You will have to figure out if he is being picked on or not. It does look like fin rot though. How are you water parameters (amm/nitrite/nitrate)? Do you have a qt tank you can treat him in?

I don't have a qt tank. Ammo is .25,trites 0, trates 0-5.0 the ph 7.8. Water temp 78 f.

I haven't seen the others go after him but he does hide alot or swims at the surface face down. No mater where he is he's mostly face down. All the other tbs are smaller about half his size.

Jgparker said:
I haven't seen the others go after him but he does hide alot or swims at the surface face down. No mater where he is he's mostly face down. All the other tbs are smaller about half his size.

All of his fins seem to be disappearing pectal, anal and tail but his dorcil fin looks ok.

Is he eating? And they are either going after him or he is sick. It looks like fin rot though... Do you have a carbon filter? Meds?

All of my bettas I had (well, gave 9 to the LFS(private) tank and all, so one now) had fin rot when rescued from Petco. I just demanded them for free as they were in cups with other Betta fish.

The base of the tail turned silver and rotted upwards. I gave them meds and they all lived and regrew fins.

That water is too alkaline for any barb, I think. May be causing stress, leading to immune deficiency.

I suggest watching him. If tommorow morning his tail is missing fin, and you don't have meds, and he isn't eating and is simply suffering....

Euthanize. It pains me to say it, but for his sake and the tank's sake.

I haven't seen him feed in awhile. I do not have carbon but I have been thinking of getting some . No meds just salt. None of the other fish have this. Can they get it from this one? If in fact it is fin rot..

Jgparker said:
I haven't seen him feed in awhile. I do not have carbon but I have been thinking of getting some . No meds just salt. None of the other fish have this. Can they get it from this one? If in fact it is fin rot..

Thank you guys for your help...

Your other fish shouldnt get fin rot-generally, its caused by bacteria thats naturally everywhere but when a fish is weakened, sick, or stressed/injured, that fish is less able to fight of infections because his immune system is suppressed. If you are not able to qt to try & treat him, euthanasia is going to be your only option. You should consider getting a small tank or a 20gal plastic storage bin & run a small hob filter on your main tank so you have something in the future to use as a qt in case you need it-doesnt need to be anything expensive or fancy.

I will get a qt tank tomorrow. Thank you again. What's a good med for fin rot? If it is fin rot.

Dunno, actually. My Betta had FR when I had him with goldfish ( I know, it was my first setup EVER ) he died from fin rot. The goldfish did not get it. I would be on the safe side and buy one of those breeder nets/boxes for livebearers and put him in there for 5 days...

Carbon is reccomended, as it provides chemical filtration. Meanwhile, it renders meds useless.

No carbon for treatment. Healthy water (0 amm, 0 nitrites, few nitrates) is a must even if it means daily pwcs. A theraputic dose of aquarium salt along with a combo of maracyn & maracyn 2 i have used in the past to treat a bad case of fin rot in a sick fish i bought. It may take mths for the fins to grow back though once the infection is healed. If you need more help, please ask!

Back
Top Bottom