Does anyone know what this is?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steph_steph

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,

Im still pretty new to fish keeping and i don't have much experience when it comes to fish disease and sickness.

I'm wondering if anyone can help me out on this... I have had 2 comet goldfish since september last year. They are currently in a 200L ( 52 g) tank.One of the comets have white spots that come and go and started on her tail fin but now seem to be spreading to her other fins.Also i have seen a couple of spots on her head and they seem to come back in the same place every time.
I have treated them for ich twice with ichonex, added aquarium salt to the aquarium and even tried Melafix (not all at the same time) as i was advised by my LFS. So far nothing has worked.... This has been going on now for about 3 months and doesn't seem to be going away.It seems to go away for a week or so then come back, at one point she was gasping for air at the surface causing her to float and at other times laying on the bottom. When i used the ichonex for the first time she had seemed to be doing alot better for a couple of weeks and now she's not well again. I'm kind of confused and have no idea anymore what's going on here. I keep up with regular weekly partial water changes and always test the waters quality and it all seems fine.
Also i noticed a slight blood like streak on my other comets tail fin tonight but other than that he is not showing symptoms of anything at all. I have kind of lost hope in the LFS as i find they rarely give helpful advice. I'd really appreciate any comment or idea's thanks :|

Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Nitrate - 15 ppm
P.H - 7.4

Attachments

• SAM_6505.jpg
    SAM_6505.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 136
  • SAM_6476.jpg
    SAM_6476.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 133
  • SAM_6469.jpg
    SAM_6469.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
My oscar has spots like that on her fins, and so does my male angel. Cant remember what its called, but it isnt harmful or anything. Just watch for signs of fungus, redness in the area signaling infection, that kind of stuff! !! Beautiful fish btw and kudos for keeping them in a proper tank!!!

My oscar has spots like that on her fins, and so does my male angel. Cant remember what its called, but it isnt harmful or anything. Just watch for signs of fungus, redness in the area signaling infection, that kind of stuff! !! Beautiful fish btw and kudos for keeping them in a proper tank!!!

:D thankyou, i'll definitely be keeping an eye on her. And by the time they get to big for this tank i'm going to have to find another home for them or get a larger tank...not sure yet but i'd like to keep them.

Do you have access to praziquantel in Aus? I suggest treating them for flukes. The gasping for air indicates theres an issue with the gills (irritation or damage) and flukes are the number one enemy of goldfish. Did you see any improvement when you treated with salt?

My Oscar also has this, I freaked out the first time thinking it was ich but it didn't go away or spread so I just assumed its nothing. It's still on his pectorals a month later with no change and no behaviour change either so I guess it's nothing.. You can see it in the picture I attached.

Attachments

• image-1128365734.jpg
    image-1128365734.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 132
Do you have access to praziquantel in Aus? I suggest treating them for flukes. The gasping for air indicates theres an issue with the gills (irritation or damage) and flukes are the number one enemy of goldfish. Did you see any improvement when you treated with salt?

Thanks, I'll check into it. they seemed to stay the same when i used salt. I think that gasping at the surface has caused her to have swim bladder disease, it seems to be a secondary problem but it could all be linked, not sure yet.

My Oscar also has this, I freaked out the first time thinking it was ich but it didn't go away or spread so I just assumed its nothing. It's still on his pectorals a month later with no change and no behaviour change either so I guess it's nothing.. You can see it in the picture I attached.

That does look alot like what my fish has...is he the only one in your tank or do you have other fish with him? only one of mine seem affected.

I recently rehomed him and pulled down my big tank but to answer your question he was the only one with it, he was once with a red tailed shark and nothing. I was reading that it can be common in some fish (moreso oscars) and there like little cysts..

I recently rehomed him and pulled down my big tank but to answer your question he was the only one with it, he was once with a red tailed shark and nothing. I was reading that it can be common in some fish (moreso oscars) and there like little cysts..

This is correct it is cysts/calcium deposits if it is not ich.

I don't know i really get the feeling that it's parasitic... the spots come and go quite fast and she's not well i can just tell by the way she swims and hangs around the surface. I went back to my LFS he gave me something called Para-gone by aquasonic, i think you can only get it here in Aus but it apparently treats most external parasitic infections. As jlk mentioned earlier it could be a fluke problem so i'll see how it goes....

That's what i thought to...it's weird though. When the spots flare up she gasps at the surface.. then they fade and it keeps happening in cycles like that over and over. I figured a parasite treatment is probably a good idea...i'll see if the spots go away after that.

They may be becoming more prominent when whatever is making her gasp does due to stress. My oscars get worse when she is feeling less than great to!! What is in the anti parasitic so we can figure out what the us equivalent is???

They may be becoming more prominent when whatever is making her gasp does due to stress. My oscars get worse when she is feeling less than great to!! What is in the anti parasitic so we can figure out what the us equivalent is???

Ah yes true. Active Constituent/s: Each tablet contains 32 mg trichlorfon

Hey everyone,just a quick update.Well after treating the tank with Aquasonic Para-gone,my fish seems to be doing a lot better and has had no spots back as of yet. Im just waiting to see if they are going to come back or not. She's no longer gasping at the surface of the water apart from when i feed her she likes to hang around the top for a bit,i think she may by looking for more food. That seems to make her float for a bit and then she's fine. Thanks to everyone for the help and comments :)

Back
Top Bottom