Does everyone have a QT tank??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had a QT tank when I started this hobby, but it soon turned into a display tank. I never had a problem in the 20 some odd years I've been keeping fish and personally I thought it was a waste of money to have a QT/Hospital tank. Well, the tides have changed, since this past Sunday. I purchased 4 ottos which wipped out most of my tank, and my fish are still dying regardless of the Marcyn and Marcyn-two and Melafix treatments I'm giving them. I feel so bad for them, but don't want to euthenise and I'm hopefull some will pull though. So with this......QT every fish, regardless of where you get it from. I'm going out and purchasing a basic 10 gallon tank with no lid, so that will force me to use it as a QT plus I'm using black magic marker and writting QT on it, so I won't be tempted to use it as a display tank.

I have a 10gal QT tank and also two 12gal plastic buckets. One for QT and one for PWC's.

i3k said:
I have a 10gal QT tank and also two 12gal plastic buckets. One for QT and one for PWC's.

Clear/semi opaque bins work too (Target $6.99). I have a 5g (?) that I have my fry nursery setup in with HOB and heater and it works great.

Im sorry to hear that, I also now have a QT tank because of a bad situation like that, I did end up having to euthinizing them all :(

I had a QT tank when I started this hobby, but it soon turned into a display tank. I never had a problem in the 20 some odd years I've been keeping fish and personally I thought it was a waste of money to have a QT/Hospital tank. Well, the tides have changed, since this past Sunday. I purchased 4 ottos which wipped out most of my tank, and my fish are still dying regardless of the Marcyn and Marcyn-two and Melafix treatments I'm giving them. I feel so bad for them, but don't want to euthenise and I'm hopefull some will pull though. So with this......QT every fish, regardless of where you get it from. I'm going out and purchasing a basic 10 gallon tank with no lid, so that will force me to use it as a QT plus I'm using black magic marker and writting QT on it, so I won't be tempted to use it as a display tank.

Thanks for those great ideas!! :)

I just lay the heater across the bottom and suction cup it to the bottom. I don't think the heater would ever get hot enough to melt plastic.

It is a clear container. I usually don't keep a lid on it as I have no other pets. Sometimes I will drape a dark towel over it so it gives them some shade. You could cut holes in the lid for your filter and heater's power cord.

Yes, the way I actually do my QT's filter is this... I have three AquaClear filters which all use the same media. I run two filters on my 20g tank. When it comes time to set up my QT I just yank the filter off and put it on my rubbermaid container. After I am done with the QT I will toss the filter media out, clean the filter (in the bleach solution I mentioned in my previous post) and then put new media in and leave it hang on my 20g until the next time. That way I always have a seeded filter ready for my QT - or another tank if MTS kicks in! :)

No problem Tasha. That is just my way of doing it. I'm sure others have different ways that work better for them. For me, I'm content with my set up.

Back
Top Bottom