Does my betta have velvet AND fin rot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

andyv5

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello!

I am an "aquarium newbie." I bought my first ever fish (a male rose petal betta from Petco) about three weeks ago. His name is Doc! I didn't know too much about bettas at the time, but after some research I've learned a few things. I read that fish sold from pet stores often already have diseases at the time of purchase.

I recently discovered that Doc probably has a mild case of fin rot. This is his fourth day of being treated with aquarium salt. He lives in a 1.75 gallon tank so I put almost 2 tsp of salt with each daily water change. I am using Ozarka spring water. Additionally, I'm keeping his tank at about 76 degrees F and trying to keep him away from a lot of light. These are all things I've read will help with fin rot. Is this correct?

Today, I read about Velvet. It's hard to see in the pictures below, but Doc has some gold coloring on his body and fins. I'm worried that he may have both fin rot AND Velvet! The photos below are of his left and right sides. Can anyone tell me how severe (or mild) his fin rot is? Additionally, can you see if he has Velvet or not?

As a bonus, I'm curious to see how old he is. He's very active, eats well (a little too well, really), and always swims up to say "hi" when I approach his aquarium. When I measured him, he was almost two inches long (not including fins). :fish1:

:thanks:

Additional Information:
1.) I'm trying to get him a 5 gallon tank, but I'm a college student and they're pricey!
2.) He swims along the side of the tank a lot. Also, he does these random jerking movements where he throws his head to his side for 1-2 seconds.
3.) I feed him twice a day with two pellets. I will admit that I used to feed him 4 pellets during each feeding. A big no-no!
4.) He lives alone in his tank.
5.) He has a synthetic plant and leaf "hammock."

Attachments

• IMG_7365.jpg
    IMG_7365.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_7367.jpg
    IMG_7367.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_7375.jpg
    IMG_7375.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_7374.jpg
    IMG_7374.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
I'm no expert, but I don't see velvet. From the photos it looks like a normal bluish green iridescent coloring. His fins look good too. I've seen that color combination naturally have a dark edge to it. How is he acting? Lying on the bottom? Cowering at the top or corner?

Have you tested your water? If not don't waste your money on test strips or taking water to a big box store. Either tank the water to a store who specializes in fish or get an API master test kit. It's about $23 but is the only way to get an accurate reading.

He likes to swim around a lot. He's typically very active. He only hangs out in corners when he's bored.

I have not tested his water. I'm running a little low on cash haha, but I would like to test his water soon. Thank you so much!

Just change water..Use dechloriantor like Prime and change often.
No salt and why the 'spring water'? Often it has more minerals then peoples tap...
Clean warm water is a bettas best friend.
The time it takes to test you could be done with how ever much % you change...

@Coralbandit

I use spring water because I recently moved to a new apartment and the tap water in this area of town is really dirty. It gets really murky and gross-looking after just a few hours of having him in it.

I will do more water changes then! Would you recommend 100% water changes? Or just 25-50%?

Back
Top Bottom