Does my black ghost knife look healthy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zaclayton94

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My ghost knife looks to be swollen in the belly area, is this normal? It is eating and swimming fine but am still curious if this is cause for concern.
It's also mostly fed frozen bloodworms, beef heart and it likes to nibble on the algae wafers I put in for my catfish.
I have attached some pictures so you can see

Attachments

• image-3107324306.jpg
    image-3107324306.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 342
  • image-985294955.jpg
    image-985294955.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 88
Hm, it does look like quite the buldge there. Other than that he seems healthy? No fin problems or anything?

What kind of filter do you have and how big is he? Also, how you tested water..tankmates?

I have an aqua one 1000 canister filter. There are no other problems to report, the fish has a beautiful, black color.
Water quality is good and the fish is 10 - 12cm.
Tank mates are:
1 african butterfly fish
3 khuli loaches
2 blue dwarf gouramis
3 pearl gouramis
8 neon tetra
1 bumblebee catfish
1 upside down catfish
2 BN plecos

I will reduce feeding over the next few days in the hopes that it will go down.

?? Don't know cm to in as in are hard enough, but I had a 5-6 in one that sucked down neons like it was no ones business... And looked like your after gouging all night, have you counted your neons?

In my exp everyone at one point or another underestimates the size of a fishes mouth. I have done it a time or two more then I would like to admit.

It's In a 60 gallon.

It's about 4 inches too. I'm not missing any tetras so I don't think it's that, the swelling seems to have came down a bit though.

Will keep you updated.

That is weird. Otherwise you could try to feed it some green peas to try and work what is in his stomach out. It could also be swollen from the intake of the filter..but since you have a canister I wouldn't think that would do it. And yes, keep us posted.

I haven't fed it for a day or so and it has already gone down significantly! I'm sure my ghost knife was just pigging out, thanks for all the help.

Attachments

• image-1907745919.jpg
    image-1907745919.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 85
  • image-3631028491.jpg
    image-3631028491.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 85
It's looking much better. I'm glad he's doing good. That black ghost looks. Awesome btw they are one of my favorite fish.

It's looking much better. I'm glad he's doing good. That black ghost looks. Awesome btw they are one of my favorite fish.

Agreed..I have one myself..he's a lil guy yet and I'm going to have to rehome him sometime in the future..but they are quite the characters.

I really hope one day I will have the room like a 125 for one of these fish I will definitley get one.

I'm definitely going to upgrade to at LEAST a 4x2x2 because I know this little guy will get a lot bigger haha

Yah that sounds about right should work out for him. And upgrades are always nice

Back
Top Bottom