Does my fish have TB?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hoppershaun

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have just bought a 35 litre bi-ube aquarium. I've put 3 leopard danios in, 2 are fine and rushing around constantly, but the other hardly moves even when it's feeding time. It's very thin and it's spine seems to be bent a bit. Also its gills are protruding quite a bit. I've looked on the internet and it seems to me that he, (I think it's a he!), may have fish TB. Anyone got any ideas? Also if he has got TB, will the other fish catch it? Opinions seem to vary on that.

Bought it last tuesday, and cycled it till friday when i put the 3 fish in. Don't know what the parameters are; nitrate, pH etc. The temperature is 76 degrees F. The ill fish has been very lathergic since I put them in, the other 2 fish try to get him to swim with them but he just ignores them. I've just noticed that he is breathing very rapidly, he just stays near the top of the water hardly moving.

First thing is that it takes a lot longer to cycle a tank than that. The most likely reason that your fish are lathergic is due to high amonia, nitrites..This what happens but I am not trying to put you down. You have come to the right place and you need to do some research.

If you are going to keep the fish you need to get a test kit and do large frequent water changes to have a shot at keeping them alive.

First thing I would do is read the AA stickies on cycling your tank.

I just followed the instructions that came with the bi-ube, it said that i could add fish after 24 hours because of the water treatment powder that i put in to add some of the bacteria needed. I'll get a test kit and test the water. I'm just worried that the fish might infect the other 2 fish.

well like he says it takes much longer to cycle a tank with or without Fish.
And all the fish will die if you dont follow mike 469s advice on cycling with fish. Cause the ammonia in a uncycled tank will kill them or seriously harm them if you dont keep up with water changes..You can add pure ammonia to speed it up but you still have to do daily waterchanges. or test the water and do it when it says its to high to keep ur water levels under control.
some one better will be along to tell u the exact ammonia and stuff in the tank

I don't think its TB. Like the others said, the fish are lethargic because of rising ammonia levels. That is all the cause of the gill protruding. They are probably skinny because alot of the fish at the LFS are skinny from not eating enough.

Read the stickies on cycling. Search for nitrogen cycle on google and read links about cycling a tank. Don't add anymore fish until the tank is cycled (which takes 4-6 weeks).

OK Guys, just finished testing the water. The results are as follows, any comeback would be appreciated.

pH 6.4
Ammonia 0.25ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 10ppm

Just keep doing PWC's until you have 0 amonia, and 0 nittite and you should be ok.

Back
Top Bottom