Does my goldfish have ich? Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stale Cupcakes

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I noticed my goldfish has 3 tiny white spots on his fins. I am a bit conflicted because I am not sure about treating him. The spots have been there for about a month and they havent grown or spread and are only at the ends of his fins. Also he doesn't show any other symptoms of ich. He has an active appetite, no clamped fins and isn't scratching himself or acting odd. By the looks of it he doesn't have ich, but what are those spots? Will he still develop symptoms after it being a month with the spots? And if it is ich, could he figjt it iff on his own? And also I do 25% regular weekly water changes.

If it's at the tips it's probably new growth. I freak out alittle too when I seen that on mine. I just watched them really close. And if you have your heat around 78-80 with some good blood worms they grow alittle faster. I noticed the fines on mine getting alittle longer, it takes time. But, just watch for other signs.

Yeah that's what I was thinking because his fins grow very nicely. One of them was on the bottom edge of the fin and not the tip so I was considering maybe he nicked his fins and it was growing back. It's just a bit unsettling because this is my first tank and I'm not sure how well I would do trying to treat him if he did end up having ich

If your like me and don't like meds. Don't use them unless you have to. Just watch your fish alot here and there. If you ever think it's ich. Turn the heat up little by little. And keep the lights off.

I am so sorry! Gold fish! Thought I was replying to angelfish. I must of clicked on the wrong one.Gold fish are much different. My goodness, I'm so sorry. Goldfish like colder water. It might be the start of fin rot. And doing a 25% weekly water change. You could be just slowing it down. What size tank is he in? I'd start doing water changes every few days and bigger. Depending on the size of tank. More like a 40% at least. If your goldfish have black areas on the fins, it's diffently fin rot.

I'm pretty sure it's not find rot. He doesn't have any black areas and never did. The tank is 20 gallons with 2 nerite snails and him. I've had this tank for almost a year so if it happens to be ick I don't know how it could've gotten there. I've seen good reviews for tetra ick guard though. If it happens to be ick I would do the salt method but I don't want to stress him with high heat and I can't buy a quarentine tank. To be honest I don't think it's ick but I will start cranking up the water changes. Couldn't hurt ��

Yeah, bigger water changes will help. But if you have a test kit. Test the water. Cause if you've had him long it could be new growth too. And don't change the heat. He will get stressed.

Alright I'll crank up the water changes and see what's good. Thank you for the advice

Back
Top Bottom