Does my Gourami have Ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bendy82

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The other fish seem fine but she has a large sore on her side and a small white dot also.

Apologies for the poor photograph.

Attachments

• ich_198.jpg
    ich_198.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 449
The small white dot which I don't see may be ich. The sore however is most likely a bacterial infection. Here's what you should do...

The fish should go into a QT. A bare bottomed tank with a heater, simple airpump driven sponge filter, and a hide out...preferrably something plastic and non porous like a flower pot. Treat the fish with an antibiotic. You can do a google search on fish medications.

Test the main tank water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH (please post test results).

Here are some questions we would like to know about the aquarium...

How many gallons is the tank?
Type of filter?
How often do you do water changes and how much is taken out per change?
How long does it take for the fish to eat when you feed them?
What other fish are in the tank?

params are:
Nitrate ~20
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
pH ~8 (About the same as my tap water)

20 Gall tall
Fluval 3+ Sponge cannister filter
1-2 weeks pwc between 25% and 50% (i admit sometimes i can be a bit slack)
Some of the fish tear up to the surface to feed. Its really just the gourami that is happy to take what falls to the bottom.

2 Hi-Fin Platys
5 Red-eye tetra
2 Peppered Corys
1 Female Dwarf Gourami (pictured)

Thanks for your help

Not sure what to do about QT since this is my only tank and im flat broke right now.

Being you are without a QT and have some sensitive fish (silver or scaleless), use a mild antibiotic for sensitive fish or half dose a general antibiotic to avoid making the other fish sick during treatment.

Some of the fish tear up to the surface to feed. Its really just the gourami that is happy to take what falls to the bottom.

I was looking for a time period the fish take to eat what you offer in one feed. Thanks.

BTW...bio looks good. pH could come down, though slowly. Neutral Regulator by Seachem has worked well for me. It will level the pH to 7.0 as well as dechlorinate the water. Use as directed.

When you can, it'd be good to get what you need for a QT for the nesxt time you have a sick fish. Doesn't have to be big. A small five gallon would do, though 10 gallons is easier to maintain. You could probably put one together for as little as $50 with the heater costing the most.

I tend to feed a smallish pinch of flakes 1-2 times a day and algae flakes at night.

Most of the food gets mopped up fairly quickly, say a few minutes. Theres usually the odd flake that gets ignored but the fish, including corys, pick at those at their leisure.

I dont think I would have the heart to euphanase the poor fish.

OK...doesn't seem like you're over feeding and nitartes are good.

I dont think I would have the heart to euphanase the poor fish.

Did you mean euthanize?

I don't know who you were trying to respond to, but I see no reason to put the fish down at this time.

Sorry yes it was euthanize. I was a bit tired when I replied last night.

The reason I suggested it was because it might protect the other fish as I dont have a QT? If you think it unecessary then thats good!

Thankyou for your help. I feel a bit more confident now.

You'd be surprised what fish can recover from. Doesn't look like the fish is ready for that transformation, yet, so give it a go in treating the tank as I mentioned with a mild antibiotic and keep nitrates low.

Keeping low nitrates seems to be a key factor for preventing the spread of disease within a tank and helps allow for more effective treatment.

We do not know how the fish came down with this sore. Could have picked on by the other gourami and wounded. Could be parasitic. Could be and most likely bacterial. Bottom line, whatever it is, created an infection. What I see on your dwarf is something I commonly see on dwarfs, especially when there are several. I've been told different information about these infections, but do seem to be dwarf gourami specific, so may not bother your other fish. I've never seen these particular sores on any other FW fish. Others have told me it may be parasitic and specific to the gouramis. In my experience in treating these sores is I've always been able to heal them up with antibiotics. I personally like to mix malachite green and methylene blue. In cases with sensitive fish, I'll do a quarter dose of each which would equal a half dose of medication total. Remember to remove any carbon from the filter and replace with fresh carbon after treatment.

Back
Top Bottom