Does my molly have internal parasites?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
abrage22 said:
So I moved the sick ones to the hospital today. And in place put in the healthy fish, after I put in a couple of the fizz tabs in the tank. Should that be enough to kill what may have been left behind? I hate to risk the healthy ones catching the worm, but it was kind of an emergency to get rid of the tank they were in.

Your better off treating the whole tank. If it is in one fish they all have it.

70 bucks is a hit but the positive is you have a defense against the nastiest worm in the fish community. And its a preventative as well

Your better off treating the whole tank. If it is in one fish they all have it.

70 bucks is a hit but the positive is you have a defense against the nastiest worm in the fish community. And its a preventative as well

Well the sick ones were never with the healthy ones, and never had contact with each other. But yea I guess it'd be smart to just treat them both...

Lifeoffroad said:
Levamisole Hydrochloride is what you want. Its not a bird dewormer its a dewormer for livestock, pigs, goats, etc.

I wouldn't get those pills you found on eBay I would keep looking for a place to buy Levamisole HCL. The reason I say that is I thin the real stuff is way more expensive. I paid 68 bucks for my bag and I see similar prices from people buying it and posting their experience online.

What I have is levamisole hydrochloride. Buying it this way (as a bird dewormer) is far cheaper. Cost me $14 for 100 tabs. 1 tab treats 10L.

image-1831387965.jpg

Anyway, the product I got is available in the UK and Aus. I'm pretty sure not the US. As I mentioned in my very first post I'm fairly sure angelsplus (in the US) sells food containing it.

Edit: look it up and yes they do.

Last edited:
abrage22 said:
Well the sick ones were never with the healthy ones, and never had contact with each other. But yea I guess it'd be smart to just treat them both...

It can be in the tank. The fish might not have been in contact but if they shared a tank they could get infected.

Edit: http://www.angelsplus.com/FlakeMedicated.htm
NEW! DeWorm-3 Flake - A garlic based flake that is designed to kill nematodes (capillaria, camallanus, etc). It targets parasites similar to the ones our first De-worming Flake is designed for, but it works in a totally different manner. It is good to alternate medication types occasionally to help prevent the developement of worms resistant to the one medication. This food should be fed exclusively, once each day for two days. Feed the fish only once each day of the treatment at the end of the day. They should be kept hungry, so they will eat vigorously. Repeat the full treatment two more times, 2-3 weeks apart.

Active ingredient: levamisole. Also contains beta glucan for immune boosting. We recommend feeding our Immune Booster Flake for 1 week after the medicated feeding is discontinued. For ornamental fish use only.

Last edited:
:facepalm: I totally forgot about that when you posted about it a couple days ago. I think I'll have to go with that then, thank you!!

Mumma.of.two said:
What I have is levamisole hydrochloride. Buying it this way (as a bird dewormer) is far cheaper. Cost me $14 for 100 tabs. 1 tab treats 10L.

Anyway, the product I got is available in the UK and Aus. I'm pretty sure not the US. As I mentioned in my very first post I'm fairly sure angelsplus (in the US) sells food containing it.

Edit: look it up and yes they do.

Oh nice! That's got and added benefit with the Prazi. Didn't know they used it for birds. Good stuff.

Yeah its becoming hard to get everywhere. From what I read its mostly due to the fact that it is the number one product to dilute cocaine with. Crazy!

Mumma.of.two said:
It can be in the tank. The fish might not have been in contact but if they shared a tank they could get infected.

Edit: http://www.angelsplus.com/FlakeMedicated.htm

I bought some food that was supposed to be the best treatment and it didn't seem to do anything. I think this worm is getting immune to some treatments. That's why I went with strait powder.

Lifeoffroad said:
I bought some food that was supposed to be the best treatment and it didn't seem to do anything. I think this worm is getting immune to some treatments. That's why I went with strait powder.

However, this looks like a good food product to have around.

Lifeoffroad said:

First hand experience is what we need. As you can tell I've never used it because I'm not in the US ;) The bird wormer is almost a wonder product IMO. Cleared my tank up in one 6 hour treatment (still did a follow up one though).

OP - IMO I think you should give the food a go first and see how it goes. You can switch to fenbendazole if it doesn't work or try or track down some powdered levamisole.

So I put in the order, along with a few other goodies. Only because they're really cheap:eek: Thanks for the referral MOT(y)

abrage22 said:
So I put in the order, along with a few other goodies. Only because they're really cheap:eek: Thanks for the referral MOT(y)

Let us know how it goes.

I've been feeding for a couple days now. It says only feed for two days then wait 2-3 weeks and feed twice again? Doesn't seem like very much. And I've got enough to feed about 20 fish for about 60 years :p.
I'm happy my healthy fish haven't showed any symptoms yet since moving them to the tank. And the sick ones I think are slowly getting better in their hospital...

abrage22 said:
I've been feeding for a couple days now. It says only feed for two days then wait 2-3 weeks and feed twice again? Doesn't seem like very much. And I've got enough to feed about 20 fish for about 60 years :p.
I'm happy my healthy fish haven't showed any symptoms yet since moving them to the tank. And the sick ones I think are slowly getting better in their hospital...

Good news! Just be sure to monitor them and just do your best.

Mumma.of.two said:
Good news! If that's what the instructions say that's what you should do. Levamisole works pretty quick IME.

Best treatment I've ever done. I was never more proud than the day I reradicated that nasty worm. One was so bad it took the little guy like a month to fully recover. Levamisole saved me from completely starting over.

Back
Top Bottom