Does this look like its healing (torn fins possible rot)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ezzie

Aquarium Advice Activist
My betta fish developed some pretty bad shredded fins after a 2 day temporary stay with a blue ram. I suspect that the ram nipped the fins and ripped them. The ram was rehomed and I'm now working on healing my betta.

His parameters were all 0 when I tested the water (ammonia, nitrite and nitrate)

His fins were pretty bad looking and some had some red tips, I'm petty sure he developed fin rot.

I moved him from his 5 gal, to a 2.5 gallon hospital tank as its much easier on my back to clean and started aquarium salt treatment.

We're into day 6 of treatment with the salts (2 teaspoons), prime (to remove the ammonia from my tap water) and stress coat (to help heal his rips) with 100% water changes daily.
I'm not sure if I'm seeing improvement or if its still receding.

Does anyone know if they can see anymore fin rot or if we are past that and just needing to heal the rips :)

Thanks!
(The second photo is his tail when it first happened)

Attachments

• image-2706236509.jpg
    image-2706236509.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 107
  • image-1515059029.jpg
    image-1515059029.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 113
Usually you will see some discoloration where fin rot is happening, especially on fins that are soo glaringly white :)

It looks like you are at the healing stage of treatment now.

Absolutely gorgeous betta btw

His fins did have flecks of red (blood?) before I started the salts, since then its gone.

Usually it's easy to tell fin rot on other bettas since they are darker colours but with this guy it's a little more difficult.. I'm also worried since he is a rose tail his extra finnage makes its harder to heal.. He used to have a spectacular tail :(

Ill finish the salt treatments for another 4 days, so a total of 10 and then just a bit warmer water and stress coat :) fingers crossed he will be a beauty again!

Thanks for the compliment with him. I saw him at the shop and couldn't leave him behind :p some fish just speak to you haha!

I snapped some more photos of his fins today, a little clearer photos. The red is back :(
3 more days of salt..

Attachments

• image-1676417045.jpg
    image-1676417045.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 81
  • image-2712537840.jpg
    image-2712537840.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 71
It's sad that the most beautiful bettas have the most fragile fins that are susceptible to rot :( Mine got fin rot as soon as I got him home.

I'm hoping his fins will heal. I only had a halfmoon betta who dispute my month + of treatment for his fin rot it just got so bad I decided to euthanise him. I'm really hoping the same doesn't happen here.

My next betta I'm looking into a plakat, there shorter fins are much less likley to develop rot. There also stronger swimmers.

I make it a point to treat with antibiotics if the fin rot gets really bad. My betta's fins got bad enough to require more extensive treatment and after about a month and a half they are regrown to almost their normal length

What can I treat this with if the salts don't heal it?
From what I know melafix and primafix don't work with bettas. I know alot of medicines are not as readily available in aus then in America..

Ill check if its available here :)

I checked on eBay and nothing, I dont think its avaliable here :/ bummer..

Edit: yep it's not avaliable in Australia. ****. The only one I have seen primafix and melafix (grr) its so difficult to find good medications here. Ill finish the salt treatment first then email a few aquarium shops to see what they have.

Just did a other 100% water change. Tested the treated prime water before putting it in and it was all 0, so at least I know the water I'm changing is clean.

However I think my thermometer is busted. It's reading 17 degrease Celsius but the waters warm to touch. Ill properly buy another one tomorrow since I wanted to raise the temp a little to help fight this.

I'm hoping I can fight this and his fins start to show some improvement.

Back
Top Bottom