Dojo loach dieing???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlackMollyJenny

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, about an hour ago I went to Petco to get new Guppies, a live plant, and Algae Eaters for my tank and when I returned, my year old Dojo Loach had wedged himself into the space between my water heater and the glass. I assumed he had gotten stuck, again, and poked him with my aquarium net and he swam off but stayed toward the surface of the water. I realised that his mouth was wide open in a perfect "o" shape, and he is very bloated. I need help! I don't want to loose him!

My tank is 20 gallons and currently has
- A dojo loach (mentioned above)
- 4 assorted male guppies
- A single rainbow shark
- 2 black Mollies
- 2 flying foxes (?? I don't remember what they are called exactly)

The tag on the plant said "Cryptocoryne - Assorted, Asia" and will be included in some photos as well as the new fish

I don't and can't find out my pH levels and I am very sorry about that

Please help!!!

Update: the dojo loach won't leave or stay too far away from the water heater and none of the other fish seem to be bothering him or approaching him

New plant:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423346017.049936.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423346057.826708.jpg

New fish added an hour ago:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423346201.802723.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423346221.524031.jpg

Dojo Loach:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423346306.908310.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423346632.188398.jpg

He moved to the ground but swam back to the surface soon after I took this picture

I might add he's a year and a half old, is his time almost over?

Have you tested your water lately with a liquid test kit? I'm sorry to say your tank is probably overstocked. The loach looks like he's got dropsy. I would up the water changes a lot.

Have you tested your water lately with a liquid test kit? I'm sorry to say your tank is probably overstocked. The loach looks like he's got dropsy. I would up the water changes a lot.

I changed the tank water about 50% last Monday. And I don't have a test kit of my own and won't be able to get to Petco for a while.

How can help him recover if possible and is it contagious to other fish?

Keep doing more frequent water changes.
Here's some dropsy info.
http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-health/disease-prevention/dropsy-malawi-bloat.aspx

Sorry I'm not an expert on treating it. Hopefully someone else will chime in.
Good luck.

Thank you so much, I hope so too.

But, if you know, i did a little bit of reading on dropsy a few minutes ago and it reccomended moving the effected fish to a different temporary tank and the thing is, the closest thing I have to that is a breeding net. He is about 4 inches and I don't know if it would help at all and I'm worried about my other fish.

Back
Top Bottom