Don't think its dropsy but...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jason the Lost

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a swordtail who I just noticed today has a spot of scales that seem pushed out on the side of its body and it seems lik a half moon of scales pushed up around its head. I've had a barb with dropsy before, where the whole body was swollen and all of the scales pineconed out but this just doesnt look the same. Is there some other diesease where this could occur or is it most likely an early stage of dropsy?

55 gallon planted
80w
140gh
90kh
no3 20ppm
no2 0ppm
ph 7.6
no ammonia

I had an albino tiger barb die the other day...he was fine and then all of the sudden i saw him sitting at the bottom of the tank with his eyes sunken in, i did a little tap on the glass near him and he started spinning in circles like a helicopter on the bottom shooting eco complete in all directions...as soon as i netted him that was it, breathing stopped completely.

there doesnt seem to be any other symptoms with the sword though...i noticed what looked like a bump and looked close and it was a couple raised scales...then noticed the half moon of raised scales on his other side. she doesnt seem to be swolen, shes always been the fatter of the three.

Do you have another tank you can QT him into and add some salt? With the plants you can't really add any salt. It doesn't sound like dropsy but it could be the beginning signs of it. I'd QT him, even if you don't have a tank, you could use a rubbermaid container, water from the tank and an air stone. And keep a close eye on him.

OK, so now it seems like the swelling/pineconinh of the scales is gone but the one spot between her dorsal fin/head where i first noticed the protruding scale has a whitehead looking spot...definitely not ich, it looks like a little whitish zit/cist popping out....but overall she does look less swollen...anyone?

And shes not behaving strangely...shes swimming with the other swords being playfull and wont stay in one spot long enough for me to even get a good look.

Hmmm I'll have to keep looking, it almost sounds like a parasite. I'll see what I can dig up for you.

Yeah, I was figuring it might be...it doesnt look like anything is "attached" it really looke like a white "Knot" on the fish's head. The spot on the stomach and back of the head where the scales were pineconing are completely gone. I really wish I could get a picture of it but the little thing won't stop moving long enough.

I can't find anything like what you are describing. He doesn't flash on items at all? If not I would keep a close eye on him and let us know if he changes at all.

Back
Top Bottom