Dropsy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheCrazyFishLady

Aquarium Advice Addict
My favorite fish, Marly (my avatar pic), has gotten dropsy. I'm not sure the exact date. I was gone up to my cousins on Monday to Wednesday and at some point he developed it. At first, he looked like he was very bloated, but its definitely dropsy now. No one was watching him, since it was only three days of me being gone. The tank is fully cycled and has been set up since January. It's a 5g Marineland Eclipse that was seeded and everything was sorted before he was added. He is in there with a mystery snail and a horned nerite. It was a fully planted tank with driftwood, prior to me dosing medication. I have removed the plants since added medicines. I've done a usual water change on Sunday night as usual and then yesterday and today because of the medicines. I'm using metronidazole (API General Cure) and doing half packets since it's only a 5g. I've had Marly for two years now, he's my baby. I have spoiled him with anything I could get for him. I'm extremely attached and am beyond upset over this illness. I haven't added a new thing to his tank in months. Last thing added were some dwarf chain swords from my boyfriend's tank, which is doing perfect. I have no clue where he got this and I'm worried about my other fish. One of my other bettas, Dorian, got dropsy randomly also a few months back, but died the day after he became noticeable. He gets fed NLS betta pellets and has been eating that for the last few months. Same package, no changes of anything.

I was worried maybe it is the water source. I use my apartment's water for all of my changes. Fix the water at least the night before water changes with Prime and everything gets temperature matched. I test the water before it goes in. No other fish are sick or showing any signs. I have five other bettas, a frog tank, and my geckos and I also use water from my apartment. But, no one else is ill.

I have no clue what to do. About two hours ago, Marly pine-coned and is completely sluggish. He was active up until now. I'm afraid he is past saving. Should I put him down? I'm so worried he is in pain and suffering. Any help at all is much appreciated. I've been completely distraught since Wednesday night when I found him like this.

Unfortunately I think it is time to euthanize him. I'm sorry for your loss. Usually the other fish in the tank don't get dropsy. I can't see how your tap water can be at fault but if you are concerned, have it tested. Many local municpalities will provide you with water testing results, they do them frequently.

Back
Top Bottom