Dropsy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lmw80

Aquarium Advice Addict
I think one of my danios has dropsy - mainly because his abdominal area is swollen, scales are sticking out and have lost some color.

I plan on getting some antibiotics for parasites tomorrow, as it is Sunday and stores are closed right now. I also plan on treating the whole tank since dropsy is highly contagious.

Some articles I read suggest euthanizing the infected fish :( Do you think I should give him a day or so to get better and then euthanize him if he's not better?

I don't have a hospital tank, and won't have one till I move next year sometime.

Sorry to hear about the danio, Lori :( I hope he gets better. I've read conflicting things about dropsy being contagious. Some websites say it is, and some say that it's that one fish's internal organs that fail. Some antibiotics wouldn't hurt. Take the bio-filter out and put it in a baggie of tank water in the frig while you treat. I had my sponge filter in the frig for 7 days once. I "fed" the sponge twice while it was in there. I did a test on the bag water and there was no ammonia!!

I don't know of any antibiotics that also treat parasites. For parasites, try Clout. (but I wouldn't mix that with an antibiotic). Jungle Fungus Eliminator says it treats dropsy. I would try the Jungle product. I tried Kanacyn on one betta with dropsy and it didn't help.

I've also read about using epsom salt to try to relieve the swelling. I'm not sure of the dose; maybe try to do some searches first. I would say maybe 1/4 tsp. per 5 gallons. Try to give the danio a pea tonight. I wouldn't euthanize yet; see how he responds to treatment. I've only had to deal with dropsy once and I didn't have much luck :( Hope you do better.

Thanks! Great help! No peas in the house, would u believe that! I will get them tomorrow also.

I thought Dropsy was a fungal or bacterial infection that infects the fish, then causes the organs to fail? I've been plagued with dropsy in the past three times with the same fish..

I bought Jungles Fungus Clear tablets the first two times, and they worked like a charm. Turns you tank water green for a while, but had the dropsy gone within a week.

The time after that, I used Maracyn-2, with no luck, and spent a crap load of money on it. I suggest the Jungle tablets. Don't Euthanize, in my opinion. Everyone says that once the fish is showing signs, it is too late...but I completely disagree!

Also, I don't think the epsom salts or peas work on the dropsy, that is for constipation purposes... I don't know though..

Good luck with it!

From what I've read dropsy is a symptom, not a disease. The fish could have an internal infection or parasites, any number of problems and dropsy occurs when the internal organs fail as a result of said problems. If that's true then it isn't contagious.

The epsom salt will supposedly help with dropsy, it draws moisture out of the body and relieves some of the swelling. But Devilish is right about the peas, that is usually for constipation.

The survival rate once dropsy has set in seems to be pretty low. If Devilish had luck with the Jungle Fungus Clear then I'd give it a try.

Thank you all for your feedback, however the fish didn't make it...I came home with the medicine to find him no longer with us. I did a 40% water change and at the first sign that any of my other fish have it, I will treat the tank.

Back
Top Bottom