Dropsy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

car_leen

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have two very pregnant guppies. One actually just dropped about 40 fry yesterday. However right when we put her into a breeding tank, I noticed the fins on her stomach (just the bottom) were giving the pinecone effect. I've read that it's dropsy. then I noticed our other pregnant guppy has started to show this as well. We have them separated in an isolation tank, just in case. Is it forsure dropsy? Should we do a complete water change? I have no idea what to do. :(

Sent from my SM-N900T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Not sure about the fins but if they are very lethargic and have swollen bellies it's dropsy. It's normally from bacteria in the aquarium that has made there internal organs swell up. I am sorry to say but I don't know a cure maybe someone else on the forum does. I suppose a 50% water change might help. It's normally from high ammonia/nitrite. Have you checked you levels recently? Good call separating them from all other fish. If they die then the bad bacteria that is inside them will go into the water then effecting all the other fish in the aquarium. I have had a fish recover from dropsy once so keep doing what your doing and don't stress the fish out too much hopefully someone else knows a proper cure.

Thank you for the reply tomtom14. Right after I posted this, I watched my orange fancy tail (the one that just gave birth yesterday) die. :(

The other one is not lethargic at all. I'll just keep an eye on her. Yes, we checked water levels yesterday when I noticed her fins & she seemed fine.
Again, thank you so much for the reply.
Good thing my son is asleep. The orange one was his favorite fish.

Here she is before she gave birth.
Rip little fishy! I'm so glad she gave us 40 fry before she left us.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1394180534900.jpg
    1394180534900.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 82
Back
Top Bottom