Dropsy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shelbidavis

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does my gourami have dropsy? No raised pinecone scales. Just huge belly and not moving very much at all. Just got him about four days ago. I think he might still be in shock for my lack of getting him use to the water..:( all my fish are fine, just this one has a big belly. I think he had it when I got him but not 100% sure. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413346569.825548.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413346620.692871.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Does my gourami have dropsy? No raised pinecone scales. Just huge belly and not moving very much at all. Just got him about four days ago. I think he might still be in shock for my lack of getting him use to the water..:( all my fish are fine, just this one has a big belly. I think he had it when I got him but not 100% sure. View attachment 252974View attachment 252975

I'm not an expert on fish diseases but to me it just looks like he's really overweight. Try posting this is in the unhealthy fish section or ask a mod to move it there.

Not dropsy, but he's really bloated. Try feeding him cooked peeled peas for a week or so and see how he does.

I forgot to mention he's not eating either:( but I will try my best with the peas thank you

Well in that case 1 to 3 tablespoons of epsom salt in the aquarium water per 5 gallons can help.

Or my LFS suggested one time a drop of mineral oil right down the fishes gullet. He has been taking care of cichlids that are prone to bloat for the past 40 years so it's a recommendation that I would generally trust.

I should put him in another tank away from my other fish shouldn't i? I have a ten gallon but a betta is in there and I have a fish bowl which I don't like puttin fish in thats small. Are you saying put the Epsom salt in my big tank with all the other fish too?

It doesnt really matter. Epsom salt is a mild laxative. Completely harmless to everything.

Oh perfect! Ok I will just put it in the big tank. Thanks!

I agree that it looks like bloat. DG are rather prone to it. One note, I would personally avoid an oil based treatment on a labyrinth fish unless it was a last resort. Oils can inhibit gas exchange, and labyrinth fish can be extra sensitive to that sometimes. I would do Epsom salt. Sometimes they are more inclined to take the peas after a day or 2 of fasting too. Let us know how it goes!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok great, thanks guys! I will let you know. Epsom salt I can just get at a pet store or a grocery store? Aquarium salt at the pet store is the same I'm assuming

Ok great, thanks guys! I will let you know. Epsom salt I can just get at a pet store or a grocery store? Aquarium salt at the pet store is the same I'm assuming

Nope, not at all. Epsom salt is bought at pharmacies and is composed of magnesium sulfate (no actual salt in it)

Aquarium salt is actual salt.

Will it be like in the pharmacy section at like walmart? I have no idea how to get that.

Will it be like in the pharmacy section at like walmart? I have no idea how to get that.

I buy mine at rite aid but yeah, wal mart will have it too. It usually comes in bags and is pretty common. Just ask where they keep it.

Actually I think I have some!! How much for a 46 gallon? I'm afraid to put it in my tank ?

1 to 3 tablespoons per 5 gallons. Theres no reason to be worried, its really nothing but a magnesium supplement. Its completely safe

For reference, people drink Epsom salt in water for the same purpose. It's magnesium, basically. It's used in baths for soreness because magnesium is a nice muscle relaxant. Might even relieve a little fishie stress!

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Guys I think it really has dropsy :( he has pinecone scales. I was giving him a Epsom salt bath and his scales are protruding out ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413419561.831047.jpg

It does look like dropsy in the last picture posted. :( How is he?

Sent from my iPhone.

I don't have a good hospital tank so petsmart said they would put him in their hospital tank and let him finish his life there. I kind of want to go check if he is still living.

I'm sorry :( There's no harm in going to check. It would keep you from wondering. You could always call to see.

Sent from my iPhone.

Back
Top Bottom