Dropsy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adri_dand

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So i believe that one of my fish has dropsy...

Any way to go about treating this? I read that it also may be a sign of disease rather than a disease itself.

Thanks for all the info...

adri_dand, hi again, lol.

Dropsy is rather a side effect of an illness, yes. Usually fungal(although some say bacterial), it is what happens when your fishes body stops releasing waste, and the kidney fills up with fluids. This makes the scales stick out. Usually, this is the end sign for fish...but not always. I would grab some antifungal meds ( I have used Jungle's Fungus Clear tablets and Maracyn tablets from Mardel). Both with sucess. Take the fish out and treat if you can in a seperate tank. Since it is fungal, it will spread. Adding epsom salts to the water has also been reported to help cure dropsy. I'll look around for that dosage, as I'm not too sure on it. There are many links around the web, I'll look around and find ya a good one.

Good luck with the fish. Treat as soon as you can.

Hello again Devilishturtles! lol..... :)

So i took your advice to post here, and find it amusing that you were the one to answer my query!! Thanks for the information! I will definately look around the net for more information.

adri_dand said:
Hello again Devilishturtles! lol..... :)

So i took your advice to post here, and find it amusing that you were the one to answer my query!! Thanks for the information! I will definately look around the net for more information.

lol. No problem at all. I have had my fair share of dropsy problems, trust me. I figured we should start a new thread though instread of highjacking that other thread, though. Definitley get those meds soon though, and do a search here for dropsy threads. Hopefully, it'll help you!

good luck with all!

Back
Top Bottom