Dropsy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alandra_lee

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have had my 55 gallon aquarium for about 4 years now. I've never had a problem with disease. I have a very healthy tank, too healthy in fact since my Buffalohead Cichlids are suddenly breeding at an amazing rate.

Suddenly, for no apparent reason, my Julidochromis bloated to an enormous size. Water tests found nothing wrong with the water quality. I did an enormous water change anyway, with no effect. The Julidochromis remained enlarged for a week or two, at which point its belly appears to have ruptured. Crazy thing, though... the fish was still alive and did not look all that stressed. However, it did die the day after I noticed the ruptured belly.

My question... would dropsy cause an otherwise healthy fish in an otherwise healthy tank to rupture?

Note: I'd had the fish for about 3 years.

alandra_lee`
Dropsy is generally characterized by a loss of appetite, sudden change of behavior, and a swollen belly. I had a case of it myself in my 55, a month or so ago with my peacock cichlid. The dropsy is actually a swelling of the tissue and organs of the fish, especially the kidneys & if it goes far enough the organs fail, or as you say a belly rupture.

Cichlids, especially malawi cichlids can be prone to the disease more than any other fish. Sometimes it can be the food you are feeding them. If it is a super dry pellet or whatever, try to soak it before feeding to your fish, so it doesn't expand in the fish's belly causing problems. Ususally by the time you notice, dropsy has taken it's toll and death will soon follow. Are you treating with a broad spectrum anti-biotic? Good luck .

I bought 8 zebra danios about a month and a half ago and after about a week I noticed one of them with a much larger belly than the others. Nothing ever came of it and now I'm noticing they all have quite large bellies even though they're spread between 2 different tanks. I think I just have fat fish...lol

I just had a case of dropsy in my 10 gallon also. It seemed to come from nowhere. Still not quite sure what caused it, but it killed my mollies. Luckily my other fish didn't get sick. As far as the fat fish go, just be sure to make sure that their scales aren't protruding. :D

Back
Top Bottom