Dropsy and bug bombs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

orandamama

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello! I am currently treating my oranda for dropsy using Maracyn2, salt, and an increased water temp. He's doing great now, but my landlord scheduled a bug bombing for this Wed. I was able to reschedule for the following week, but they want all pumps off. I am afraid of cutting off any air/water circulation for 8 hours (while I'm away at work) while they spray my apt for bugs (that I don't have!).

My oranda has a little house with a water wheel. Is it okay to leave that on, and seal the tank with plastic while they spray and until I can get home to turn on the filters? Or, is it okay to leave everything off until I can get home? I don't know what to do and I want to make sure I'm doing everything right for my fish.

I just don't want to make my little guy sick again -- I've had him for years, and I would be devastated to come home and find him gone for good! :-( If anyone has any tips for me and could share their experiences, I would greatly appreciate your feedback!!

Thanks!

By house with a water wheel, I take it that's an underwater deco? If you can leave that pump on (assuming it has one) that'd be fine for 8 hours. Goldfish are not like tropical fish in that they NEED oxygenated water, but it is definiltey better for them. 8 hours gone, and they will be fine. :) Leave the air pump on, with the bubbles, if you can though.

:multi: :multi: :multi: Welcome to AA, orandamama! :multi: :multi: :multi:
That's a tough one.
My oranda has a little house with a water wheel.
Is this run with an air pump? You certainly do not want the bug bomb in the tank (you probably don't even want it in your house :?). Do a search on this site for "bug bomb" and see what others have done.

I'm concerned about the dropy; since bacterial dropsy infects the kidneys, leading to water retention and finally spiky scales, I was wondering at what stage you caught the disease.

Back
Top Bottom