Dropsy and earthworms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dropsy has many causes from bacteria, virus, to tubuculosis.. It is possible but how clean were they? Were you getting them outdoors? I dont see how it would be known without examination under a microcope..

Yes, I got them from my backyard. I think the earthworms cause the dropsy episode in my tank. I have been feeding Bloodworms (Hikari) and a few weeks ago I introduced the earthworms in their diet.

Its possible, but most likely coincidental. I have been feeding earthworms out of my yard (an average of around 40 worms weekly) for the past 7 years, and I have not had a case of dropsy in nearly 2 decades.

I feed earthworms to my fish all the time too. But we never use pesticides in our yard and I make sure I rinse the worms off really well before throwing them in the tank.

jrp1588 said:
That's a lot of worms...o yeah...you're the one that had 62 tanks...I guess that makes sense then. :?

The worms go almost entirely into about only 20 of those tanks....and that is suplemented by the worms that I buy.....when I feed, it is in pounds of food. ;)

Yeah, one of these days when I have my own house, I'll probably be the same way. Except the fishtanks will have to share space with my technology fettish...I have expensive hobbies :(

We dont use neither pesticides nor fertilizers in our yard. I rinsed the earthworms before feeding the fish. I probably am the unlucky one who got a pathogenic bacteria carrier worm.

Back
Top Bottom