Dropsy (Ascites) Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corster

Aquarium Advice Regular
My gold gourami, (male), hasn't been eating for some time now. I didn't really think it was a big deal. Now I've been browsing the forums and the internet looking at what could be wrong with him. After viewing him for a wile and looking at the symptoms; I'm pretty sure it's Dropsy. His scales are not budging, but he is swelling. If you guys have any input to hopefully save my gourami's life please I'm open to anything. Keep in mind he won't eat anything. I don't have a spare "sick tank". Is there anyway I can force him to eat? I read that pealed pees make fish poop and clear their tracks.

The best thing for the fish is to have pristine water. Doing some extra water changes will definately be good for the fish. What size is your tank and what is your stocking? What are your exact parameters? You can add some epsom salts to the water depending on what the other fish are. Most fish aren't bothered by epsom salts. Provide a bit more information and we might be able to help more.

29 gallon:
9 barbs
3 gold gourimis
1 gray one
2 plo
1 cat fish
1 dragon fish

PH:7.4
GH & KH: 250-300
Amonia and nitrite:0
Nitrate:20

I would add some epsom salts. He may just be constipated if his scales aren't sticking out. Unfortunately dropsy is very hard to cure, personally I've had no success stories. But if it is just constipation then adding some epsom salts might help. I have successfully force fed peas to larger fish just nothing as small as a gourami. I dose 1/2 tsp per 10 gals.

I do already....
Should I Kill him to put him out of his misery?

I've had fish recover from dropsy. Goldfish and guppies. Pristine water and some maracyn plus is all I used. Maracyn will kill off a filter though. Dropsy isn't a terminal diagnosis for an otherwise healthy fish. I wouldn't kill him yet.

He is resting on the bottom now, will not eat anything. Can't swim good because hes getting bulged now.

I really think he is suffering, he wont eat, he lost 100% of his personality, He was the biggest one in the tank and would defend his territory, wouldn't let anyone invade it, now he lets fish swim right by him and does nothing to defend his territory. On one of his sides the budge is bigger and he has some difficulty swimming. He always was the first to come up on feeding time. Now he just goes to the bottom of the tank and lets everyone els eat.

He was my first and favorite fish too. What is a humane way to kill a fish?

A much debated question. If you are not squeamish a good solid blow to the head or decapitation will get the job done. I find cold water and freezing is a less brutal way. It is not a subject I like to dwell on.

I couldn't beat him and risk him not dieing right there. I just did it. I got a little bucket and filled it half way with gray goose and half water. He got drunk in the first 30 seconds he was dead within a min. he was freaking out the first 10 seconds then relaxed and peacefully died. I feel really bad I had to do this, even though he was noticeably suffering. Now my gray gourimyi is the biggest fish n hes showing a lot of aggression to my other fish, I think I'm going to the fish store soon and getting another bigger fish so he stops picking on the smaller fish. I just lost my fav. and first fish. I really tried to save him, but he didn't respond to anything I did. It was hard to see him die.

sorry fir your loss. I know what it's like. Recently went through a similar situation.

Back
Top Bottom