Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-20-2006, 11:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Japola44
Dropsy in my ADF?

I got an ADF the other day, and so i decided to go look up some info on it. The first thing i noticed was my frog looks a lot fatter than the others. So maybe it was a young african clawed frog. But other than its large stomach it has all the qualities of an ADF. Is it possible it has dropsy? What do i do to treat it? I wouldn't have bought it if i knew it had dropsey, but all the ADF at the store were pudgey like he is

I'll go take some pics to post soon

"it is impossible to convey the life-sensation of any given epoch of one's existence--that which makes its truth, its meaning--its subtle and penetrating essence. It is impossible. We live, as we dream--alone..." The Heart of Darkness
Japola44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 12:36 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
To the very best of my knowledge, no, ADF's can't get dropsy. Dropsy is simply a name for a side effect of a internal infection, and is not actually a disease in itself. My guess is that you just have a pudgey frog.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 01:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
Actually DT I believe that ADF's can get dropsy. I had an ADF that contracted dropsy.
http://allaboutfrogs.org/info/doctor/bloat1.jpg
http://www.microgravity-systems.com/...ydrops_eng.htm

There are many pages on a google search, I'd check some of the photos and see if your ADF looks like any of them. I'll be hoping not for the little guy.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 01:29 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Puriti Send a message via MSN to Puriti Send a message via Yahoo to Puriti
They can get dropsy, but if they're just fat pot-bellied then i wouldn't worry too much about it. You more need to be worried if their whole body looks swollen and fat. My ADF's are just plain fat lol. Hope yours doesn't have dropsy >__< that would stink 8O
Old 01-21-2006, 05:02 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

I'll move this to the Unhealthy forum and maybe someone there can give you some things to look for. I'd wait and see a bit, check to make sure it is eating, etc.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 08:13 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Learn something new everyday! Thanks Zagz, Puriti.

I was figuring dropsy in the sense of the bloated "scales" and overall wasting symptoms. Didn't even think about just generl bloating.

Good luck, Japola.

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Old 01-22-2006, 03:26 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Japola44
ok well my adf seems to be eating normally, i wish i could get you guys a picture, but my father has yet to return my camera he borrowed o well. The other day I saw the frog floating up on the surface and i thought for sure he must have died but when i took of the top to my tank i was happy to see him hiding in the plants. He eats like he is starved, and he isn't really bloated except in his stomach region. So, my hope is petsmart is just a little over zealouse when it comes to feeding their ADF. I'll let you guys know if he is acting strange, however its hard to tell with these guys. I have read they can float around perfectly still for hours. So who knows :P Thanks for the help!
"it is impossible to convey the life-sensation of any given epoch of one's existence--that which makes its truth, its meaning--its subtle and penetrating essence. It is impossible. We live, as we dream--alone..." The Heart of Darkness
Japola44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 10:40 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Floating still is natural behavior for frogs.

Large appetite and swollen belly is sometimes indicative of an intestinal parasite. Might see if he will accept an anti-parasitic food. (I have had terrable luck with medicated foods.)

He also might just be young and hungry.
dskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 12:06 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
Floating is very normal for frogs. Even with my ACF's I notice they get bloated after eating. You may very well have a pudgy frog. One of my frogs is close to twice the size of the other, LOL.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 12:14 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

I agree with the others. Floating is very common, as well as a hearty appetite.

Old 01-22-2006, 10:56 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Puriti Send a message via MSN to Puriti Send a message via Yahoo to Puriti
It's called the "zen" positioning as I've heard it called. It's basically frogs just being lazy and not wanting to come up for air lol

Tags
adf, dropsy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com