Dropsy in my ADF?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Japola44

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got an ADF the other day, and so i decided to go look up some info on it. The first thing i noticed was my frog looks a lot fatter than the others. So maybe it was a young african clawed frog. But other than its large stomach it has all the qualities of an ADF. Is it possible it has dropsy? What do i do to treat it? I wouldn't have bought it if i knew it had dropsey, but all the ADF at the store were pudgey like he is :?

I'll go take some pics to post soon

To the very best of my knowledge, no, ADF's can't get dropsy. Dropsy is simply a name for a side effect of a internal infection, and is not actually a disease in itself. My guess is that you just have a pudgey frog.

They can get dropsy, but if they're just fat pot-bellied then i wouldn't worry too much about it. You more need to be worried if their whole body looks swollen and fat. My ADF's are just plain fat lol. Hope yours doesn't have dropsy >__< that would stink 8O

I'll move this to the Unhealthy forum and maybe someone there can give you some things to look for. I'd wait and see a bit, check to make sure it is eating, etc.

Learn something new everyday! Thanks Zagz, Puriti.

I was figuring dropsy in the sense of the bloated "scales" and overall wasting symptoms. Didn't even think about just generl bloating. :wink:

Good luck, Japola.

ok well my adf seems to be eating normally, i wish i could get you guys a picture, but my father has yet to return my camera he borrowed :roll: o well. The other day I saw the frog floating up on the surface and i thought for sure he must have died but when i took of the top to my tank i was happy to see him hiding in the plants. He eats like he is starved, and he isn't really bloated except in his stomach region. So, my hope is petsmart is just a little over zealouse when it comes to feeding their ADF. I'll let you guys know if he is acting strange, however its hard to tell with these guys. I have read they can float around perfectly still for hours. So who knows :p Thanks for the help!

Floating still is natural behavior for frogs.

Large appetite and swollen belly is sometimes indicative of an intestinal parasite. Might see if he will accept an anti-parasitic food. (I have had terrable luck with medicated foods.)

He also might just be young and hungry.

Floating is very normal for frogs. Even with my ACF's I notice they get bloated after eating. You may very well have a pudgy frog. One of my frogs is close to twice the size of the other, LOL.

It's called the "zen" positioning as I've heard it called. It's basically frogs just being lazy and not wanting to come up for air lol

Back
Top Bottom