Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-24-2005, 10:55 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Puriti Send a message via MSN to Puriti Send a message via Yahoo to Puriti
Dropsy or Pregnant?

One of my zebra danios has a fat stomach, only on the bottom though, but from I can see from the fast swimming, is that the scales are raised slightly. Though, I've also known from my zebra danios that one of them is a female (from what I can tell) because all my other ones swarm around her and look like they're trying to breed her and she was fat at one point(at least I think this is the one >_<) before for a long time then got skinny again (I'm assuming my other fish ate the eggs cuz I've not seen them) but I just got through with another one of my danios with dropsy and it's just striking that question to me. It's just staying in one corner of the tank, my other ones are swimming around it to try to get it to follow them, which it does for a bit, then just goes back to staying in the corner.

Old 07-24-2005, 11:04 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
I don't believe danios are livebearers, so she shouldn't be pregnant. It does sound like she could have dropsy.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 11:11 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
I'm still a bit asleep I think. You have tested your parameters? From what I'v been told antibiotics are the treatment. I've heard that you can purchase food with meds in it. Good luck!

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 11:12 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Puriti Send a message via MSN to Puriti Send a message via Yahoo to Puriti
They're egg layers, but I put her in my 2.5 gallon tank and I've confirmed it does have raised scales in the very front of her chest and some on the sides of her stomach, and in the very back of her stomach, so I'm gonna do a water change in my other one and medicate her with the marcel stuff I bought for my other one

The only test kit I have is nitrite right now, but there's none in there >_<
Old 07-24-2005, 02:48 PM   #5

That definately sounds like Dropsy. You should move it into another tank and give meds soon.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:00 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I already did
Old 07-25-2005, 09:52 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

YAY! THE SWELLING IS DOWN! ....but I think I'm gonna leave her in there for a while longer just to be on the safe side ^^

Tags
dropsy, pregnant

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com